Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding - doesn't the stitching show through? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-doesnt-stitching-show-through-t227511.html)

mighty 08-08-2013 01:00 PM

Thank you for the link to the flange binding!!!

betty jo 08-08-2013 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6222587)
If I am going to do a machine sewn binding, I like to use Charisma's QB tutorial under Quick machine binding with flange. You make a 2 tone binding that is sewn to the BACK of the quilt and the binding is folded to the front and I stitch along the flange with a thread that blends with the back. It gives a great finish and an added detail with the flange.

Where can I find this tutorial; I tried but could not find it...thanks....

busy fingers 08-08-2013 02:01 PM

I machine all my bindings. Some to the front and some to the back and I have no trouble with seeing the stitching. After all you can see the quilting stitches. Do what pleases you.

Tartan 08-08-2013 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by betty jo (Post 6223142)
Where can I find this tutorial; I tried but could not find it...thanks....

You can go to page #2 of this thread and gale has put a direct link in green letters that will take you right to it OR you can type in Quick Machine Binding with flange in the search bar at the top of this site. The search bar will bring up all similar threads and then you look for Charisma's name.

meyert 08-08-2013 05:33 PM

busy fingers: good point... the quilting threads do show through. never thought of that. Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

nancysp 08-08-2013 06:05 PM

Sharon Schamber has a terrific tutorial on You Tube. Type in her name and "binding" .... you will learn lots watching it. I just put on my first binding using her Elmer's Glue method. Saved me hours of time and the binding is really nice. But you can see the stitches.

Nammie to 7 08-08-2013 06:14 PM

My preference is to stitch the first side by machine then use the ladder stitch for the 2nd side. I like the fact that no stitching shows on either side. Do what you are comfortable with - that is the only thing that counts.

quilttiger 08-09-2013 04:33 AM

I just used the Faux Piped Binding (demo was given by a guild member) and if you Google these words, there are web sites on this. It is very similar or same as the method described by Tartan. It works like a dream, even with the corners! I also have attached binding from the back by machine and then stitched it down on the front with a decorative machine stitch such as a feather stitch. Looks good on both sides, too.

carolynjo 08-09-2013 05:28 AM

I don't worry about the stitches showing; they have to go somewhere! I would worry if I were entering it into a prestigious show, but that will never happen! My hand-sewn bindings are still in place on my quilts after years and years.

EmiliasNana 08-09-2013 05:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by PurplePassion (Post 6222503)
I stitch the binding on the back and fold over to the front and top stitch. It looks nice. Does it matter if the stitching shows? I use the same color thread as the backing on the bottom and the same color as the binding on the front.

This is what I do too. I use a "stitch in the ditch foot" for the top stitching and move my needle a few spaces to the right. That way my stitching is consistently catching the edge. I pin the entire binding down first and use a stiletto to hold the edge over to the foot, when I remove the pin. As you can see from the photo, I over stitch the corners a bit. It just makes me feel like the corners are more secure. On the front side it is almost invisible. I do ALL my bindings like this unless it is for a show. It is especially durable for quilts that are going to get lots of abuse, like kid quilts. Good luck![ATTACH=CONFIG]429262[/ATTACH]