Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding - doesn't the stitching show through? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-doesnt-stitching-show-through-t227511.html)

pocoellie 08-09-2013 06:33 AM

Sorry I can't help you. I sew the binding to the front, then hand stitch it to the back, have tried by machine and just can't get it looking good.

institches33 08-09-2013 06:50 AM

The Martelli binding system is amazing. There is a video. I wouldn't be without mine.

fangman 08-09-2013 11:05 AM

Pactrick Lose has a good tutorial, if you go to Quilters Newsletter, click on videos, and then in the space, put in Binding by Pactrick Lose. Its great.

Scraplady 08-09-2013 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by meyert (Post 6222829)
Do you guys feel like the hand stitching on the back of the binding holds up? I have a feeling that the ones I am working on now will get used.

Our grandmothers and great grandmothers sewed them by hand. I still do most of mine by hand because I just like the way it looks. It's not that I mind the machine stitching showing on the binding, I simply haven't ever gotten my machine stitched corners to make me happy. And I actually enjoy the hand-sewing. But sometimes the deadline comes faster than I can stitch!

Mariposa 08-09-2013 12:38 PM

I do both sides by machine. Sew to the back first, then on the front with either a straight stitch or a decorative one.
:)

justflyingin 08-09-2013 03:55 PM

I have to add that as others have suggested, so much depends on what you are willing to go with. I don't think that any of your loved ones will care if the thread shows through on the back side of the quilt. As someone said, sometimes people purposely put colorful thread on the bottom so it shows.

However, I've hand stitched many, just so they didn't show through. But now, I mostly just finish on the top, and machine stitch. I haven't had anyone complain or even mention it.

bettysew 08-09-2013 04:41 PM

I sew my binding to the wrong side and fold to the front where I use the machine blind hem stitch, invisible thread and sew it down. You have to really look to see it. Since my hands don't work as well as they used to, this works well for me. I use thread that matches the back in the bobbin.

Mkotch 08-10-2013 02:57 AM

[QUOTE=MadQuilter;6222505]I have sewn it to the back and brought it to the front. Then I use a decorative stitch to sew down the binding. It is meant to show and I just call it a feature!

I recently used a blanket stitch with contrasting thread, and it looked wonderful.

ladydukes 08-10-2013 05:19 AM

I purchased the Martelli Binding System over a year ago and still have not tried it out. After I complete my daughter's DWR quilt I am going to get it out and learn to use it. My BFF in TX uses hers for every quilt, unless it is for a show quilt.

sewbizgirl 08-10-2013 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by meyert (Post 6222460)
I know this is a silly question, but every quilt I finish I struggle with the binding. If I sew to the front (face down to hide the stitching) the roll the binding to the back to sew on I get frustrated.

I have hand sewn with a blind stitch many times, but I am working a big project and I have 5 more quilts to bind... I want to sew with the machine. Then I feel like they will stay on better and it will be quicker. But the stitching will show on the other side if I use my machine.

What do you guys do about that? Do you just let it show?

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Yes, it will show on the back side as a topstitching. But you eventually get a feel for it and your stitching on the back becomes more even and uniform. I never use glue, only pin the binding in place before sewing.

If you need it not to show, you will have to blind stitch it by hand.