Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-question-t318416.html)

JanieW 06-06-2022 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the replies. The only way I’m going to know if it makes a difference is to try it. I’m making a small preemie quilt for donation so will see how I like it.

I really don’t mind the ironing step and my bindings lie flat (I think ).. I will try it and then I’ll know.

Yes QuiltE,you made sense. I don’t use any clips at all when using the ladder stitch. The binding keeps folding along as I go. Hopefully the picture shows how you don’t need clips. I hated them as the thread was always catching in them.

mkc 06-06-2022 01:50 PM

I do press, because I do a flanged binding 100% of the time and want to make sure the width of the accent flange is consistent.

LAF2019 06-06-2022 03:38 PM

I used to press all the time, but on my most recent finish, I decided to try not to press, as I had also read the previous suggestions on this board. I did not struggle at all to keep the edges together. I saw no difference in the end result. the biggest advantage then, is eliminating a step in the process and saving time.

QuiltE 06-06-2022 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by JanieW (Post 8554721)
............Yes QuiltE,you made sense. I don’t use any clips at all when using the ladder stitch. The binding keeps folding along as I go. Hopefully the picture shows how you don’t need clips. I hated them as the thread was always catching in them.

ha! ... you probably only understood it this time, as it was the 2nd time round! :)
I've never had problems with the thread catching into the barrette type clips.
As for pins .... huge issues with catching! But have never mastered "clean" corners without pinning, so I persevere for that short time!!!

Cute back to your quilt ...look forward to seeing the front view!

SuzSLO 06-06-2022 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by JanieW (Post 8554721)
Thanks for all the replies. The only way I’m going to know if it makes a difference is to try it. I’m making a small preemie quilt for donation so will see how I like it.

I really don’t mind the ironing step and my bindings lie flat (I think ).. I will try it and then I’ll know.

Yes QuiltE,you made sense. I don’t use any clips at all when using the ladder stitch. The binding keeps folding along as I go. Hopefully the picture shows how you don’t need clips. I hated them as the thread was always catching in them.

From your photo of the unstitched part, you can see that the fold does not lie quite flat. But once you stitch it down, it looks perfect. I noticed as I was sewing a pressed binding that I was essentially finger pressing the fold to lie flat as I stitched it down.

Murphy224 06-07-2022 12:10 AM

I do press the binding in half before stitching, and I press the binding away from the quilt all the way around before turning it to the back or front (depending on which I am doing). I saw a video from Donna Jordan where she did that and it made a great difference in how the binding folded over, she uses her finger, but the iron works better for me. I also fold the corners and give a press during this step.
Here is a link to her video and if you want the entire binding segment starts about 23.51 and the finger pressing technique at 29.07. This entire video is filled with great ideas and hints.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE5CqpWaReA&t=1178s

Onebyone 06-07-2022 03:59 AM

I stopped using double fold binding a long time ago. I use single fold non bias. I join with straight seams. Most all the old antique quilts have single binding and have held up fine. I don't know when double fold became the normal. I machine sew my binding. I have never understood if the quilt is all machine pieced and quilted why hand sew the binding.

lindaschipper 06-07-2022 04:14 AM

The last quilt I made I honestly thought about not pressing the binding. But then i stopped and thought about what works for me and that has always been pressing. Mainly becasue I apply the binding to the back and then machine stitch it on the front side close to the fold. For my charity quilt this works for me.

aashley333 06-07-2022 05:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
First of all, I had to Google "flanged binding" and "ladder stitch", so I already learned two new things! I have never bound a quilt with separate binding. I fold back the top piece 1 1/4" to trim the batting and back, so that the front becomes the binding. Super easy! I am wanting to try the flanged binding now!

Macybaby 06-07-2022 12:37 PM

I stopped pressing my binding a long time ago, and never use pins. I machine sew my binding on front and back, and found not pressing made a huge difference for me.