Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-question-t318416.html)

Panchita 06-08-2022 12:30 AM

I don't press my binding - I used to, years ago, but tried it without and find my binding lies flatter and is easier to do (for me, anyway - I used to find ironing the binding in half very fiddly, but then I'm not a fan of ironing)

I tend to use one pin to pin at the start (so that I remember to leave extra for the final join) and then use one pin about 10-15 inches down as I machine on the binding, moving the pin another 10-15 inches as needed.

I machine the binding on one side, and then hand sew to finish it - I enjoy hand sewing, but do not have the time/patience to do the whole binding by hand, so this seems a good way to do it. I machine on the back and hand sew to the front, so I can see the finished quilt emerging as I sew round, which is very satisfying!!

JanieW 06-08-2022 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8554774)
… I machine sew my binding. I have never understood if the quilt is all machine pieced and quilted why hand sew the binding.

For me, I like to hand sew the binding for a couple of reasons. One, I enjoy hand sewing; it’s my zen time. The other reason is I really really like how it looks. I don’t like the look of a machine sewn binding. Most of the quilts I make are donated and I want them to look the best I can.

I hope to find some time today to try an unironed binding to see what I think. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Gemm 06-08-2022 06:41 AM

Aashley - I also needed to look those two words up! Glad to know I wasn't the only one confused/intrigued. :-)

Such a great conversation here and so many good thoughts on both sides. I'm a presser, personally, especially useful when I've pieced my bindings and I also machine my binding on the top then wrap around and hand sew on the back. Probably one of my favourite parts of making a quilt - not only does it mean it's almost finished, but I find it calming and extremely satisfying to watch it all come together in slow motion. :-) I think if I was going to use a thicker batting I'd be more inclined to try not pressing to see how it changes the fold.

SuzSLO 06-08-2022 07:28 AM

I also had to look up “ladder stitch”. That made me realize that I use a different stitch when hand sewing my binding to the back; I use a “blind stitch”. This is the same stitch as I use for hand appliqué, although I use a larger needle and my stitches are larger.

Peckish 06-08-2022 08:23 AM

The ladder stitch is great for hand-piecing, especially for EPP such as hexies. :D

SusieQOH 06-08-2022 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW (Post 8554886)
For me, I like to hand sew the binding for a couple of reasons. One, I enjoy hand sewing; it’s my zen time. The other reason is I really really like how it looks. I don’t like the look of a machine sewn binding. Most of the quilts I make are donated and I want them to look the best I can.

I hope to find some time today to try an unironed binding to see what I think. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Ditto- I never seem to be able to have both sides look good with the machine. I don't mind hand sewing one side at all.
I'm currently hand quilting an old quilt top I got years ago. It's so relaxing for me. I had forgotten how much I enjoy it.

Onebyone 06-11-2022 06:19 AM

I machine sew the binding to front and back at the same time. I use wide binding. I use a wider border or use a hidden border for the wide binding to have an anchor and not cover up any details. I am always asked how did you do that? I say make a placemat and try it. Binding does not have to look like regular run of the mill bindings. Most of prized show quilts have really out of the box thinking bindings. I don't make show quilts but like to have fun with binding and I stopped hand sewing binding years ago. The grands panel play quilts with single fold bindings have lasted for years of almost weekly washings and rough handling.

RedGarnet222 06-11-2022 11:44 AM

Another convert here. I used to iron the biinding in half and then apply it years ago. Honestly, I really like the no-iron method better, like so many of the other gals here. I found it to look neater and it falls effortlessly into place, filling the whole inside. I used to have to struggle to get the corners just right, but not now. Whether or not I hand or machine bind is dependent on the quilt. The top of the line fabrics and extensive piecing are deserving of hand work. I also love the hand work still, so , why not take the time?
This was a fun thread to read. So many techniques and so many opinions about one thing.

LisaInOhio 06-13-2022 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8555241)
I machine sew the binding to front and back at the same time. I use wide binding. I use a wider border or use a hidden border for the wide binding to have an anchor and not cover up any details. I am always asked how did you do that? I say make a placemat and try it. Binding does not have to look like regular run of the mill bindings. Most of prized show quilts have really out of the box thinking bindings. I don't make show quilts but like to have fun with binding and I stopped hand sewing binding years ago. The grands panel play quilts with single fold bindings have lasted for years of almost weekly washings and rough handling.

Onebyone, do you have a picture to show us an example of your wide binding and/or hidden border? I'd love to see it!

WesternWilson 06-21-2022 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8554706)

p.s. I don't use the ladder stitch. Personal preference.

What stitch do you use?