Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-questions-t180779.html)

tngal22 02-26-2012 11:49 AM

Binding questions

1) How wide do you usually make yours? First time I did the standard (or so I read) 2.5" wide, major fail, as it was too short. Second time I did 3" and was almost wide enough but still too short. So my third attempt I did 3.5". I hope it works!

2) Do you always press your binding before attaching to the quilt? I hate, let me rephrase that, HATE ironing. lol So do you press the binding in half then sew it onto your quilt or do you skip the ironing?

I have my binding ready to be ironed (or not) and I am so tempted not to press it but don't want to make a big mistake by not. So it is necessary to press before attaching?

snow 02-26-2012 11:54 AM

I Press. I just want it to lay down flat it is easier.

tngal22 02-26-2012 11:59 AM

I figured....Well better get out the iron, the evil thing...lol. I don't even attempt to use the ironing board, it really is evil and bites me every time. Good thing I have a long bar and some good towels to use. lol

lfstamper 02-26-2012 12:04 PM

My binding is 2.5 inches wide. Then fold in half and starch and press. Use a quarter inch seam. Good luck.

tngal22 02-26-2012 12:19 PM

Thanks. I use a 1/4" seam but the 2 tries haven't been nice. I will admit the first quilt messed up due to using Minky so I should have used a wider binding since it had dots. The 2nd try, the backing had shifted so some areas had to be tugged tighter to cover. I hope this one works better! I shall see....binding is pressed so I am about to start attaching. Fingers crossed!

nativetexan 02-26-2012 12:22 PM

Hmmmm, try basting around the edge of the quilt before adding the binding. by that i mean using a long stitch length and sewing near the edge by machine. then when you attach your folded 2.5 inch binding you can get it to fold over the edges easier. I tend to leave 1/4 or less of batting beyond the quilt top edge to help fill the binding.
try making something small and see how you do on the binding then.

Peckish 02-26-2012 12:44 PM

I use a 2.25" wide binding and DON'T press it in half. When I machine sew it on the front of the quilt, I use a scant quarter-inch seam. Then I fold it to the back and adjust the edge (which is why I don't press it first), so that the binding is full of quilt and there are no gaps or flat spots. I use a combo of clips and tiny dots of Elmer's washable glue to hold the edge in place as I hand-sew the binding to the back.

Having said all that, I admit that I am very particular and detail-oriented about my bindings. Find a width and method that works best for you.

dunster 02-26-2012 12:50 PM

I press mine, but I have read that others find it easier to do without pressing. I cut mine at 2.5" and leave 1/4" of batting and backing sticking out past the quilt top. The binding is sewn a scant 1/4" from the edge of the binding and quilt top, but this is a scant 1/2" from the edge of the batting and backing. It makes a full 1/2" binding this way.

snipforfun 02-26-2012 01:05 PM

I follow Sharon Schambers glue method and I dont skip any step. I figured Ive come this far so I go the distance

QuiltnNan 02-26-2012 02:52 PM

i cut the strip 2.25" and press in half. i have to pull it tight enough [really not that tight] that i always have a full binding.