Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Binding questions

Binding questions

1) How wide do you usually make yours? First time I did the standard (or so I read) 2.5" wide, major fail, as it was too short. Second time I did 3" and was almost wide enough but still too short. So my third attempt I did 3.5". I hope it works!

2) Do you always press your binding before attaching to the quilt? I hate, let me rephrase that, HATE ironing. lol So do you press the binding in half then sew it onto your quilt or do you skip the ironing?

I have my binding ready to be ironed (or not) and I am so tempted not to press it but don't want to make a big mistake by not. So it is necessary to press before attaching?
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

I Press. I just want it to lay down flat it is easier.
    Bring Your Conscious awareness to the source of loving and Caring

I figured....Well better get out the iron, the evil thing...lol. I don't even attempt to use the ironing board, it really is evil and bites me every time. Good thing I have a long bar and some good towels to use. lol
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew

My binding is 2.5 inches wide. Then fold in half and starch and press. Use a quarter inch seam. Good luck.
    Linda

Thanks. I use a 1/4" seam but the 2 tries haven't been nice. I will admit the first quilt messed up due to using Minky so I should have used a wider binding since it had dots. The 2nd try, the backing had shifted so some areas had to be tugged tighter to cover. I hope this one works better! I shall see....binding is pressed so I am about to start attaching. Fingers crossed!
    Sabrina

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm, try basting around the edge of the quilt before adding the binding. by that i mean using a long stitch length and sewing near the edge by machine. then when you attach your folded 2.5 inch binding you can get it to fold over the edges easier. I tend to leave 1/4 or less of batting beyond the quilt top edge to help fill the binding.
    try making something small and see how you do on the binding then.

Blog Entries
    I use a 2.25" wide binding and DON'T press it in half. When I machine sew it on the front of the quilt, I use a scant quarter-inch seam. Then I fold it to the back and adjust the edge (which is why I don't press it first), so that the binding is full of quilt and there are no gaps or flat spots. I use a combo of clips and tiny dots of Elmer's washable glue to hold the edge in place as I hand-sew the binding to the back.

Having said all that, I admit that I am very particular and detail-oriented about my bindings. Find a width and method that works best for you.

I press mine, but I have read that others find it easier to do without pressing. I cut mine at 2.5" and leave 1/4" of batting and backing sticking out past the quilt top. The binding is sewn a scant 1/4" from the edge of the binding and quilt top, but this is a scant 1/2" from the edge of the batting and backing. It makes a full 1/2" binding this way.

Blog Entries
    I follow Sharon Schambers glue method and I dont skip any step. I figured Ive come this far so I go the distance

Blog Entries
    i cut the strip 2.25" and press in half. i have to pull it tight enough [really not that tight] that i always have a full binding.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    i do not understand how 2 1/2" could be too short- or 3"??? if you cut 2 1/2" strips, attach to make long enough to go around the quilt + 10" then fold in half lengthwise- pressing as you go- stitch a 1/4" seam- raw edge of folded binding to outer edge of quilt- fold to back & hand stitch down you should have plenty to cover the seam from the front-
    personally i think 2 1/2" bindings are too wide-unless on a flannel/heavier quilt- i generally cut mine 2 1/4" or even 2" i prefer thin bindings. a binding 3 1/2" wide would be like a whole additional border.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I do mine exactly like Dunster.

Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    My binding is 2.5 inches wide. Then fold in half and starch and press. Use a quarter inch seam. Good luck.
    This is how I do it as well. Good luck!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    This is how I do it as well. Good luck!
    That's how I do mine too.

See I like thicker bindings. I usually cut them around 4 or 4 1/2" foldin half then attach. Then file to the back and usually hand sew to back unless I am in a rush or being lazy then I use a decorative stitch to attach to the back. I think of a binding as sort of a frame. But that is me. I would probably be laughed out of any guild or show bymy bindings.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

The 3.5" binding fit perfect. I guess I have thicker batting then most because if I cut 2.5" strips and fold in half, they would not even come close to going around without tugging it tight. Posting a finished picture soon.
    Sabrina

Cut mine 2 1/4 inches wide then fold in half and press.

Quote Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
    1) How wide do you usually make yours? First time I did the standard (or so I read) 2.5" wide, major fail, as it was too short. Second time I did 3" and was almost wide enough but still too short. So my third attempt I did 3.5". I hope it works!

2) Do you always press your binding before attaching to the quilt? I hate, let me rephrase that, HATE ironing. lol So do you press the binding in half then sew it onto your quilt or do you skip the ironing?

I have my binding ready to be ironed (or not) and I am so tempted not to press it but don't want to make a big mistake by not. So it is necessary to press before attaching?
    For myself, I'd find it hard to handle without pressing.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I do 2.5 inch. Sometime iron but glue binding at first but now I don't and so far so good. What do u mean too short? I cut a little extra to be sure!!

I was confused with why a 2.5 inch binding wouldn't work til you said minky. I would use a walking foot to attach that one. Minky is so slippy. Good luck!! With regular fabric I always press I like the crisp but do whatever is easrier and works for you. I would do 3.5 for a minky because I always do 1/2 seams with minky and trim. Just me!
    *Rachel*

I find 3.5 inches works best. Usually I run a long zigzag stitch around the edge to keep it all together. Master that iron!
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    I follow Sharon Schambers glue method and I dont skip any step. I figured Ive come this far so I go the distance
    ditto... I am hooked on sharon schamblers binding tute on you tube.....
    Proud Mother of Sarah Grey
    Grey's Fabric and Notions
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/greysfabric?ref=seller_info

Sharon Schamber's method for me too, it makes beautiful bindings. Different battings may require different size bindings. If I'm using a different batting, I usually make a test strip and try it out to make sure it'll work. On my "Quilter's Dream_Select" I usually use 2.5", heavily starched & pressed in half, and sew with my walking foot at almost 3/8". Get an awesome binding every time!

there are many ways to bind a quilt....I use a 2.5" strip, fold in half and press with raw edges together....stitch to the backside of the quilt....fold to front side and just cover the stitch line (using glue stick and iron)....I machine stitch down, using whatever deorative stitch looks good....my quilts are for using and I don't feel that handsewing is strong enough to deal with 6 year old boys! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
    See I like thicker bindings. I usually cut them around 4 or 4 1/2" foldin half then attach. Then file to the back and usually hand sew to back unless I am in a rush or being lazy then I use a decorative stitch to attach to the back. I think of a binding as sort of a frame. But that is me. I would probably be laughed out of any guild or show bymy bindings.
    Do you account for how wide the binding is and add additional batting and backing around the edge ? I think most quilt patterns I've used have assumed a 1/4" seam to attach the binding, where if you had a larger seam, to account for a wider binding and to be sure your binding is "full", it would stitch over some of the design along the edges.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast