Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-questions-t258754.html)

DeMaris 12-26-2014 08:44 AM

Binding questions

Ok, I am wanting to bind a quilt. I usually use 2 inches folded in half. If I up that to 3 inches fold and iron in half do I still sew it on at 1/4 inch or do I move it to 1/2 inch to get a bigger binding edge on the front???? Sorry I know that sounds stupid but I have never changed it up in my whole life I usually just do the 2 inch, iron in half and sew on.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DeMaris

QuiltnNan 12-26-2014 08:52 AM

personally, i start with 2.25". 3" seems very wide and changing up your automatic 1/4 seam would mean a new skill and seem strange. the 2.25" fills the binding nicely when complete. it's all personal preference, though.

PatPitter 12-26-2014 08:57 AM

Why are you wanting to change it to 3 inches? Are you wanting more binding on the front or back?

DeMaris 12-26-2014 09:04 AM

Yes Pat that is exactly what I am looking for is more on the front and equal on the back. It seems my fronts are smaller than the back is and I want them more equal.
Thanks

Michellesews 12-26-2014 09:21 AM

I always fold the binding into thirds and crease it with my fingers. This tells me what seam allowance to use so it will wrap perfectly. Then I move my needle so the edge of the presser foot rides on the edge of the fabric and the needle hits on the first crease. THEN I measure to see exactly what that seam allowance is so I know how far to stop from the ends to get a perfect miter at the corners. Hope this helps and makes sense.

quiltingcandy 12-26-2014 09:32 AM

When I cut my binding, I cut it at 2.5 inches, fold it in half and iron it. I trim the edge of my quilt before I sew it on, but leave it a bit wider and trim it more as I sew down the binding by hand. So I use the 1/4 inch from the edge of the binding on the quilt but it may be a bit more when I trim as I sew. The majority of my quilts I use flannel for the back so need to make sure there is enough so it doesn't pull out. (I sew around twice, so my binding is attached.)

PatPitter 12-26-2014 09:36 AM

Maybe play around with some scraps to determine the best size. I woulds say increase to 2-1/2" and trying sewing slightly larger than 1/4" binding -- 3/8" and see if that looks better to you.

GrammieJan 12-26-2014 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by DeMaris (Post 7021883)
Yes Pat that is exactly what I am looking for is more on the front and equal on the back. It seems my fronts are smaller than the back is and I want them more equal.
Thanks

That being the case, you need a slightly wider seam if you are sewing onto the top (some like to apply to the back first.). I like to use 2 1/2 inch strips folded double and then a scant 3/8 inch seam on the top of quilt.

cjsews 12-26-2014 09:43 AM

I usually cut my binding at 2.5 and fold in half. Then, if I want a fuller binding on the front, just leave the batting and backing a little wider than the top. This way you are maintaining the 1/4 seam.

Terri D. 12-26-2014 09:54 AM

The easiest way to achieve a wide binding is NOT to trim your quilt sandwich until after the binding is stitched on. Cut your strips the width you want, fold, press and sew the binding with a 1/4" seam allowance. Instead of trimming the excess layers to within a 1/4" of your stitching line, leave some extra extending beyond it so the binding is filled when turned to the back and stitched down.