Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Binding questions

Binding questions

Ok, I am wanting to bind a quilt. I usually use 2 inches folded in half. If I up that to 3 inches fold and iron in half do I still sew it on at 1/4 inch or do I move it to 1/2 inch to get a bigger binding edge on the front???? Sorry I know that sounds stupid but I have never changed it up in my whole life I usually just do the 2 inch, iron in half and sew on.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DeMaris

Blog Entries
    personally, i start with 2.25". 3" seems very wide and changing up your automatic 1/4 seam would mean a new skill and seem strange. the 2.25" fills the binding nicely when complete. it's all personal preference, though.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Why are you wanting to change it to 3 inches? Are you wanting more binding on the front or back?
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II, Singer Treadle

http://craftypat.blogspot.com/

Yes Pat that is exactly what I am looking for is more on the front and equal on the back. It seems my fronts are smaller than the back is and I want them more equal.
    Thanks

I always fold the binding into thirds and crease it with my fingers. This tells me what seam allowance to use so it will wrap perfectly. Then I move my needle so the edge of the presser foot rides on the edge of the fabric and the needle hits on the first crease. THEN I measure to see exactly what that seam allowance is so I know how far to stop from the ends to get a perfect miter at the corners. Hope this helps and makes sense.
    Michelle Guadarrama

When I cut my binding, I cut it at 2.5 inches, fold it in half and iron it. I trim the edge of my quilt before I sew it on, but leave it a bit wider and trim it more as I sew down the binding by hand. So I use the 1/4 inch from the edge of the binding on the quilt but it may be a bit more when I trim as I sew. The majority of my quilts I use flannel for the back so need to make sure there is enough so it doesn't pull out. (I sew around twice, so my binding is attached.)

Maybe play around with some scraps to determine the best size. I woulds say increase to 2-1/2" and trying sewing slightly larger than 1/4" binding -- 3/8" and see if that looks better to you.
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II, Singer Treadle

http://craftypat.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DeMaris View Post
    Yes Pat that is exactly what I am looking for is more on the front and equal on the back. It seems my fronts are smaller than the back is and I want them more equal.
    Thanks
    That being the case, you need a slightly wider seam if you are sewing onto the top (some like to apply to the back first.). I like to use 2 1/2 inch strips folded double and then a scant 3/8 inch seam on the top of quilt.

I usually cut my binding at 2.5 and fold in half. Then, if I want a fuller binding on the front, just leave the batting and backing a little wider than the top. This way you are maintaining the 1/4 seam.

The easiest way to achieve a wide binding is NOT to trim your quilt sandwich until after the binding is stitched on. Cut your strips the width you want, fold, press and sew the binding with a 1/4" seam allowance. Instead of trimming the excess layers to within a 1/4" of your stitching line, leave some extra extending beyond it so the binding is filled when turned to the back and stitched down.
    Last edited by Terri D.; 12-26-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Power Poster
    You will need 1/4 inch past the seam allowance on your quilt top if you want 1/2 inch showing on the front.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I generally use a 2.5 inch folded in half with a 3/8" seam allowance. You want to have your binding a little wider in the back to cover your stitching. If you want the wider part in the front then stitch it on to the back first and then hand stitch it to the front.

Things to consider: If you use a border then the width of your seam allowance can be varied. If you don't have a " border and you are applying the binding next to a block then you have to go with 1/4" seam allowance so your block won't be off and you won't lose points etc.
    When you are mitering your corners remember to stop the distance of your seam allowance. If you use 1/4" seam allowance you stop 1/4" from the end. If you are using a 3/8" seam allowance however you will stop 3/8" from the corner; 1/2" seam allowance, 1/2" from the corner.
    You want your binding to be full - in other words the batting needs to fill the width of the binding. If you use 1/4" seam allowance and a wider binding then your binding won't be full to the fold.

Hope this all makes sense...

I couldn't ever use a 2 inch binding! You are a better woman than I am. I use a 2.5 inch strip folded in half. I have used 3 inch binding and it is so much easier than the more narrow binding. It becomes a design element for the quilt back when you use a wider binding. I don't see any reason not to use the 1/4 inch seam. froggyintexas

May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
    I always fold the binding into thirds and crease it with my fingers. This tells me what seam allowance to use so it will wrap perfectly. Then I move my needle so the edge of the presser foot rides on the edge of the fabric and the needle hits on the first crease. THEN I measure to see exactly what that seam allowance is so I know how far to stop from the ends to get a perfect miter at the corners. Hope this helps and makes sense.
    Do you use 2.25 then fold just that in thirds or do you fold 2.25 in half then half again? Sorry feeling thick this morning. It sounds like just what I am after as I never seem to fill the binding with equal amounts each side.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
    The easiest way to achieve a wide binding is NOT to trim your quilt sandwich until after the binding is stitched on. Cut your strips the width you want, fold, press and sew the binding with a 1/4" seam allowance. Instead of trimming the excess layers to within a 1/4" of your stitching line, leave some extra extending beyond it so the binding is filled when turned to the back and stitched down.
    This is what you need to do if you use a wider binding. I trim the back and batt "roughly" to about 1 inch or a little more beyond the edge of the pieced top. Then sew the binding on with the 1/4 inch seam allowance on the quilt front. The batt and back will extend beyond the raw edges of the binding.

After the binding is sewn on, I cut accurately with a ruler and rotary cutter as wide as I want that seam to be. Just do short cuts, and line up the ruler with the stitching.
    With a 3 inch binding: folded in half is 1.5 inches. The seam to sew it onto the quilt makes it 1.25 inches left. Fold that in half and you have 1 1/8 inches that you want to leave on the batt and back layers. I would make it one inch. You need a little room for the thickness of the batt.
    Hope this makes sense, and hope it works for you.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

it also makes a difference on what type of batting you are using
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    I use 2 1/2" folded in half as well. The front is nicely framed and there is a an easy wrap to the back for hand sewing.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Depending on the quilt, but I have used Nancy Zieman's Fuse 'n Bind and the binding has a nice size and comes out perfect. But one thing I found out is that if you do not have a border and attaching to the block I happen to do this and lost the points on my star block. So now I know better.

I usually go with 2.5", fold in half and use 1/4" seam.
    Jeanie

If you are hand stitching the binding to the back, most quilters cut their double folded binding 2.25". The only time I ever cut binding 3" was when I was using some fat polyester batting. Check to make sure you are sewing an accurate 1/4" seam when attaching your binding to the quilt. Most quilters (Not ALL) who cut their binding 2.5" width is because they are stitching it totally on by machine.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I agree, you might want to do a test at 2 1/2 and one at 3" and see if that's the look you want. Like most, I find 2 1/2" strips gives me plenty on front and back.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I always use a 2.25 binding and as someone has mentioned, anything wider than 1/4 inch seam with blocks extending to the edge will result in lost points. I can tell you all about that. I thought I heard someone mention the other day on a TV show that they always used a 3" binding to start with. I was surprised as I don't think I would ever get that thing filled.

Hi DeMaris
    Re equal binding widths on front and back of quilt - Marci Baker discusses this here http://youtu.be/Ot7Trk6J2Vw
    in a you tube video about joining binding ends. She does not iron her folded strip in half before applying the binding.
    When I think of doing that I see a lot of pleats becoming a design element in my binding - but she doesn't seem to
    have a problem. Alicia's Attic videos have a ton of good info.
    Re the original question about where to stop before the miter - I think that measurement is the same as the seam allowance.
    Thanks for your question - it makes me think about what I am doing and also see the approach other quilters use. I will be
    trying the 2 tips about folding binding into thirds and the one about trimming the quilt sandwich after sewing down the
    binding.
    Lefty - in Philly

Power Poster
    my first suggestion is to make quilt sandwiches. of scraps ( they only need to be about 1-1/2 inches wide) and experiment

I cut my bindings on the bias at 2-7/8 inches - they end up about 7/16 inch wide.

I like a wider bindng. - and when I sew it on I use the far left needle setting, and the "regular" presser foot - with the right edge of the presser foot on top of the edge of the quilt.

My machine is a mid 1980s Pfaff with the idt walkong foot.

I baste the edges of my binding together instead of pressing the strip in half. When the binding is wrapped around the outside of the quilt, the actual/natural fold line is a few threads away from that pressed in center crease.

I also use a long stitch about 3/16 inch or less from the edge of the quilt sandwich.

It is two more steps - but then I only need to worry about lining up two things instead of five - so it is easier for me .

I always have to do a bit of a trial run to get my needle settings right. Thicknss of the batting can also make a difference.

Also - when doing that first stitching - STOP sewing a seam width away from the end of the seam. That 1/4 inch you sometimes see ONLY applies to seams that are that wide.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 12-28-2014 at 08:02 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast