Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-t271135.html)

ruby2shoes 10-16-2015 01:45 PM

I agree about the importance of the binding. I don't know why but it is the first thing I look at when I am admiring a quilt...probably because it is the thing I find trickiest to do and therefore something I really appreciate when I see it done nicely.

paoberle 10-18-2015 02:18 AM

If you are trying to decide, then you should not give the it as a gift. You want to be proud of what you make and give.

earthwalker 10-18-2015 02:21 AM

I am probably the wrong person to ask....I get myself in knots over dog quilts:). If you are not happy with it....redo or think of an alternative.

Fastpedal 10-18-2015 03:26 AM

I have done this pattern both with a binding and "birthing" method. Usually I prefer to use a binding. However, after doing this pattern using a birthing method (I was in a hurry to complete) I liked the end results much better.

annette1952 10-18-2015 04:14 AM

Since you are not happy with the binding then I think I would take it off watch some good videos & re-do it. I know ripping is a pain but I think you will be happier with the gift

coopah 10-18-2015 04:25 AM

Paper Princess your links worked and were informative. Thanks! Tartan, the link says it doesn't exist...??? I have a double wedding ring to bind soon, so would like to check out any ideas for binding that have curves/angles. Meryert, thanks for asking the question! :)

maviskw 10-18-2015 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by elnan (Post 7346877)
Patrick Lose - My gripe is that he does a great job until the point where you join the ends of the binding, then leaves you dangling.

Joining the ends of the binding is not hard if you press a triangle into the beginning of the strip. Leave a tail about 8 inches long before you start sewing. (Start near a corner, so you have only a few inches to the corner.) When you come around to the finish, take the quilt out of the machine. Lay the binding onto quilt edge and cut off the end tail at the base of the triangle. Now the binding is overlapping just as much as the binding is wide. Pick up those two ends, opened out, and sew them together on the bias, just as you sewed all the other seams in the binding strip.

bjgallent 10-18-2015 07:12 AM

I have made several and did the "birthing" way. The pattern suggests that or binding if you prefer. I prefer turning it, quilting, and top stitching around the edge.

DivaDee 10-18-2015 09:56 AM

I have the triangle frenzy Safari and it calls for border prints. I can't find them anymore. Where do you guys find them?

MarleneC 10-18-2015 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7346840)
I would re do my binding. Good tutorials for binding at www.ankastresures.wordpress.com If you can't do a good binding try doing a facing. Using strips of fabric that match the backing, sew them to the edge of the table runner and flip the whole facing to the back, turn under the raw edge and hand stitch to the backing.

Not coming up with anything here except wordpress stuff.