Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-t43108.html)

mpspeedy 04-19-2010 03:43 AM

For bed quilts that I have hand quilted I always machine attach the binding and finish it by hand. On baby quilts or Linus quilts I either totally machine do it using a decorative stitch or make it envelope style and just run a decorative stich about 1/4" in from the outside edge to give the impression of a binding.
I have never had a problem with the hand stitched binding coming loose from my bed quilts even after they have been machine washed and dried several times.

Peggy 04-19-2010 04:38 AM

I SEW THE BINDING ON BY MACHINE AND THEN BLIND STITCH IT TO THE BACKING ON ALL MY QUILTS - GIFTS AND CHARITY. WHEN I ENTERED PROJECTS IN SHOWS, I SEWED THE BINDING ON BY HAND. THIS TAKES A GREAT DEAL OF TIME AND EFFORT. "MATURITY" REQUIRES THAT I MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENTS TO THE QUILTING PROCESS, AND THIS IS ONE THAT I HAVE MADE.

Jingle 04-19-2010 05:28 AM

I sew to front with machine and hand sew to the back, I like this look best. I usually give quilts to grown ups.

grammyp 04-19-2010 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I machine stitch on the front and turn over to the back and hand sew that part.

Me too. I have machine stitched, but haven't been happy with the final results.

lakequilter 04-19-2010 05:44 AM

I always sew the binding down by hand on the back. I like the hand sewing and it's a great project to do at night when I'm tired and just want to watch TV. I really like it much better than a decorative stitch. I've done several for charity and I do them all by hand.

thismomquilts 04-19-2010 05:48 AM

I machine stitch to the front, hand stitch to the back - for all my projects.

Dancing Needle 04-19-2010 05:49 AM

I too machine stitch my binding to the front of the quilt and then hand stitch (blind stitch) it to the back. I find the hand sewing very relaxing and to me it gives me time to reflect on the whole project. :)

3699quilter 04-19-2010 06:45 AM

I usually machine sew the front and hand-stitch the back. I've tried machine sewing both sides, but sometimes I miss the fabric on the reverse side. I to sit in front of the TV and hand sew the back.

bstanbro 04-19-2010 08:26 AM

Up until now I've always hand-stitched. But recently I learned a way to do it by machine and it turns out really nice. It sure is a lot easier on my arthritic hand. I still think I'll hand stitch the special quilts.

sewNso 04-19-2010 08:35 AM

until just last xmas, i always machined sewed the binding to the front, then hand blind stitched to the backing. but i did several 'downy kids quilts' and the directions that came with it said to zig zag the binding instead of hand sewing. i have decided that from now on,--for all my utility quilts that are give aways, i will zig zag. it's quicker, easier. and someone that doesn't quilt, and is going to wash it once a week. that's good enough.