Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding tip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-tip-t252060.html)

RainyBC 08-18-2014 07:27 AM

Great tip. Thanks you.

dcamarote 08-18-2014 07:28 AM

Wow. what a great time saving idea. I can just use the marked line over and over and it saves me from having to mark every single piece of fabric. Thanks so much!

Hookem 08-18-2014 07:30 AM

Thanks for the great tip. It will save me a lot of time instead of drawing a line on every piece.

GrannieAnnie 08-18-2014 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6849466)
As I sat down at my machine to do the angles on my binding, I thought some of the newer quilters might like to see my painter's tape tip. There are plastic sheets you can buy that stick on your machine bed but I found painter's tape works fine for my purpose. I could mark the 45 degree angle on with pencil and sew on the line but I just eye ball it.

I draw a line with my sharpie on a 8 inch piece of painter's tape. I position the one end of the line right under the needle. I make sure the line runs straight to the edge of my machine surround. After it is in the perfect position, I trim the tape and make sure it is stuck down well. I them position the crossed ends of my binding strip with one V right at the needle and the outside V one the line. I sew keeping the outside V on the line for a perfect 45 degree join on my binding strip.

It's easier for me to draw my line on the fabric.

nvb50 08-18-2014 03:38 PM

Great tip! Thank you.

judylg 08-18-2014 05:09 PM

I am going to try this out on next binding, save me a few minutes and work. Thank you for sharing.

gale 08-18-2014 06:19 PM

I like this idea better than the Clearly Perfect Angles that I bought. I don't understand how drawing a line on every square is easier than this. This is one line drawn and then you just sew with the corner staying on the line.

adding that this is great also for doing half square triangles or anywhere you need to sew diagonally across a square.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 08-18-2014 06:55 PM

I will be doing this the next time I'm trying to sew a zillion HST. I hate marking lines. I'm lazy and line marking is work.

Cindy60545 08-19-2014 02:11 AM

I guess like minds think alike...I do the same thing!

Dollyo 08-19-2014 04:06 AM

I use the Susan Schamber's method of binding. Press over a 45* angle on the end of each binding strip (same end), put a thin line of glue, position on the next strip, press in place. At the sewing machine, open the angle and sew down the pressing line, line up the next piece, stitch. It is especially helpful when doing stripes. Most of the time, I can match the stripes on binding. I do use your painter's tape method for lining up edges of strips, etc to keep a scant 1/4". My DSIL was having a problem of stitching off at the end of the strip. With the tape in place, she was able to keep a consistent seam allowance.