Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding twisting on me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-twisting-me-t52246.html)

bertadel 07-01-2010 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm a newbie and have allot to learn. I would like to learn why my binding is twisting on me. I'm adding the binding on my second quilt. It's twisting on me. It's not flat. I cut the binding on the bias, machine sewed it on the front. Now I'm hand sewing using the ladder stitch on the back.

I hope it's a simple as I'm not lining up the stitches so I'm pulling it to the left.

I attached a picture.

franie 07-01-2010 08:35 AM

Bias binding has a tendency to do this. I only use bias when I want a dif look or have curves. Your binding needs more fullness also.

kathy 07-01-2010 08:43 AM

yes I think it's mostly that the binding is not filled with the quilt, when you sew to the front then turn to the back it should be pulled as far as it will easily go, if all goes well it just covers your machine stitches and the binding is nice and full of quilt.

bertadel 07-01-2010 08:47 AM

Franie, Fullness as in width? The binding is on the skinny side. I have a book that said to cut the strips 2" wide, so I did. Next time it will be 2 1/2" wide.

amma 07-01-2010 08:51 AM

Fullness as in stretching the binding as you fold it over so that it doesn't have empty spots without the quilt sandwich being completely in it.
Making your binding a 1/2" wider would not change anything, it just makes your binding wider.

bertadel 07-01-2010 08:52 AM

I see, I was folding over the binding and hand sewing just passed the machine stitches. My batting is thin so I should fold it over more so the batting fills the binding.
I assume the ideal binding should be consistent width and full.

franie 07-01-2010 09:32 AM

No, not in width of binding. Just pull your binding to the back tighter so it fills in.

Originally Posted by bertadel
Franie, Fullness as in width? The binding is on the skinny side. I have a book that said to cut the strips 2" wide, so I did. Next time it will be 2 1/2" wide.

franie 07-01-2010 09:34 AM

Yes--filled is the answer. I have been judged down on a quilt because of the binding not full enough. I usually do 2 1/2 binding on quilts and smaller on other smaller things. Never iron the binding half over before putting it on the quilt.

Originally Posted by bertadel
I see, I was folding over the binding and hand sewing just passed the machine stitches. My batting is thin so I should fold it over more so the batting fills the binding.
I assume the ideal binding should be consistent width and full.

franie 07-01-2010 09:35 AM

Do you have binding clips? They look like hair barrettes? They help keeping the binding in place before you do the handstitching.

MistyMarie 07-01-2010 09:41 AM

This past weekend I was at a quilt show and the LQS in my parents' town had this wonderful product called "Ta Da". It is an interfacing that you iron on to your fabric that has the bias lines on it. It makes perfect bias strips and you will never have wrinkles in your bias strips and it gives it more stability for longer wear.

I just called them and they will ship. One package will do at least a queen-sized quilt. I plan on getting some the next time I go to visit. (I am kicking myself for not doing so this past weekend!!!)

Anyway, if you are interested, the store is called "Fringe" in Salida, CO and they sell the packages for $7.50 each. 719-539-4006.