Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding width (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-width-t1445.html)

ShellyQ 07-16-2007 05:59 PM

Straight cut binding is cut on the straight grain instead of the bias, has less give than bias :)

Flying_V_Goddess 07-16-2007 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ShellyQ
Straight cut binding is cut on the straight grain instead of the bias, has less give than bias :)

Okay. So if I'm using a pair of jeans for my binding I would cut along the length of the pant leg, right?

ShellyQ 07-16-2007 09:07 PM

Probably, just look for grain in fabric, I've not worked with denim before but you might want to allow yourself alittle more than 2 1/8 width Because of the thickness of it. Also 5/16 is more than 1/4. Did you mean 3/16? I think that what the other ladies suggested, 2 1/2 would prob be about right. All the best with it and keep us posted :)

vicki reno 07-17-2007 04:17 AM

Keep in mind that this is a little thicker than an ordinary quilt. You may want to consider 2 3/4 instead if 2 1/2. sometimes its really tight using 2 1/2 on a regular quilt.

Flying_V_Goddess 07-17-2007 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ShellyQ
Probably, just look for grain in fabric, I've not worked with denim before but you might want to allow yourself alittle more than 2 1/8 width Because of the thickness of it. Also 5/16 is more than 1/4. Did you mean 3/16? I think that what the other ladies suggested, 2 1/2 would prob be about right. All the best with it and keep us posted :)

I'm absolutely positive about the 5/16 seams...I measured them all after I realized my quilt top was an inch or two shorter than what I had planned.

Does anyone have any suggestions on measuring and cutting strips (without a rotary cutter) that aren't wider or shorter on one end? The first time around, when I made the strips for the binding I just took my yard stick (it was wide as the strips I needed to make) and traced that onto the fabric. But I don't have anything that's 2-3 inches wide to trace onto the fabric and I can't draw two paralell lines "freehand" on fabric to save my life (this is coming from someone who always got A's in art classes. lol)

zyxquilts 07-17-2007 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I just took my yard stick (it was wide as the strips I needed to make) and traced that onto the fabric. But I don't have anything that's 2-3 inches wide to trace onto the fabric
Use the yardstick to mark the width you want - make your first line down one side of it, then turn it, use the line you drew as "0", measure over to your width & make some marks at that width, down the length of your line. Turn the yardstick longways again & draw your line to match up the marks. I've attached a word doc with a picture....I hope it works!

Hope that makes sense!

sue

vicki reno 07-18-2007 04:45 AM

Have you tried measuring in from the edge and putting light dots or marks there then connecting the dots using the yardstick?

zyxquilts 07-18-2007 02:56 PM

That's what I was trying to say Vicki! I just couldn't find the right way & ended up sounding so complicated! LOL

sue

Flying_V_Goddess 07-18-2007 05:25 PM

...I could try that and see if that works.

Just curious, but is there some special way to sew the binding to the edges? I was reading a post a while back (I forget who posted it) where she first sewed it to the back and then flipped it to the front and sewed it again...eh, something like that. I thought you just pin the binding to the edge, stitch it on, and you're done...or can you do that?

zyxquilts 07-18-2007 08:46 PM

Usually I fold my binding in half,right sides out, then line up the raw edges, binding on the front & stitch it on. Then I flip it over to the back & hand stitch it down.
BUT, I saw this on the board this morning:

Ordinarily, I attach my binding to the right side of the project, turn the edge to the back side, pin under the seam allowance, and then hand stitch. But on this project, I wanted to machine stitch from the top (using my new red/white/blue varigated thread) and catch the seam allowance with a decorative stitch. In doing this in the past, there always seemed to be places where the seam allowance poked out and didn't stay where I had pinned regardless of how many pins I used. Then I had to rip and restitch.

Somehow, recently, I stitched my binding to the back side by mistake. I scolded myself for my dumb error. Rather than rip, I decided to reverse my practice, pin on the right side and continue with my decorative stitch from the right side. It turned out great!!! No more poking, ripping, restitching.

Needless to say, I will continue to do my machine-stitched binding in my newly found manner.

Suzanne
That sounds like it might work well for your denim!

sue