Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Black & White Beauty top done! Now.....? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/black-white-beauty-top-done-now-t186390.html)

Kitsie 04-17-2012 08:42 AM

Black & White Beauty top done! Now.....?

2 Attachment(s)
How to quilt it? I can do straight stitch designs on my domestic machine like melon seeds, SID, cross hatch and any simple curves. I'd like to have most of any pattern (like a simple flower) in the snowball blocks and the "flower blocks" are busy enough and I don't want to take away from the fabrics and design. Really don't like an all-over design, what I call the "gravel road" look :(

Perhaps a viney look with a couple of leaves? (Oh, it is spring!! The first 2 pairs of swallows just arrived!
If I were brave and could FMQ (have not the least desire to!), I'd do a larger flower in the SBs the same shape as the fabric print but this is a king size and I've done them before, but not when I have to turn it and turn it!.

I cannot afford to have it LAd and the giftee's want me to do it. Nice compliment but....!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]328537[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]328538[/ATTACH]

Tartan 04-17-2012 08:47 AM

Did you see the quilt that Charismah's did, I think it was called Peach cobbler? Anyway it was the one that has the center curl with feather/petals around it and I think it would look great in the big blocks. if you look at the round trivet tutorial, it uses the same quilt design. I love studying Charismah's work to see what designs I can make a stab at. I would say duplicate but no way am I ever going to be that good.

tezell0801 04-17-2012 08:49 AM

Just beautiful. Sorry I am a new quilter and I have no advice, but wanted to say I love this quilt.

paulswalia 04-17-2012 08:52 AM

See the flower that's printed on fabric in your snowball blocks? Could you enlarge that design and center it in each block? You could make it a continuous design and move from block to block with a vine connecting each flower like the vine in the smaller print. LOVE your quilt - you've made what could otherwise be a stark black and white into a warm and inviting quilt.

Buckeye Rose 04-17-2012 08:54 AM

Beautiful quilt! Love the choices of prints. The quilting is all a personal choice, but I will give you my two cents worth! I would do a basic SITD around the big "stars", a very simple design inside the stars (I think that the print of the big stars won't show nicely with a busy design), and a busier design in the "snowballs" if you want. This is all just my honest opinion - most quilters like much more quilting than I do - I want the fabric and block designs to show.

Kitsie 04-17-2012 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5148500)
Did you see the quilt that Charismah's did, I think it was called Peach cobbler? Anyway it was the one that has the center curl with feather/petals around it and I think it would look great in the big blocks. if you look at the round trivet tutorial, it uses the same quilt design. I love studying Charismah's work to see what designs I can make a stab at. I would say duplicate but no way am I ever going to be that good.

Thanks, tartan, but did you see the part where I say I don't FMQ or LA? Thanks anyway!

Kitsie 04-17-2012 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose (Post 5148523)
Beautiful quilt! Love the choices of prints. The quilting is all a personal choice, but I will give you my two cents worth! I would do a basic SITD around the big "stars", a very simple design inside the stars (I think that the print of the big stars won't show nicely with a busy design), and a busier design in the "snowballs" if you want. This is all just my honest opinion - most quilters like much more quilting than I do - I want the fabric and block designs to show.

That's my thought exactly, Rose. I like less quilting also. Makes for a softer look and feel. I'd love to do the flower just like you said - but I don't FMQ or LA. 'Spose I could hand quilt it! Here is sort of my viney thought. I could do this on my machine...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]328539[/ATTACH]

arkansasquilter123 04-17-2012 09:14 AM

Beautiful quilt!!!

Linnie 04-17-2012 09:15 AM

I love black and white. You did a beautiful job

dunster 04-17-2012 09:18 AM

That is a beautiful quilt. I like the leafy design you came up with.