Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bleached Muslin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bleached-muslin-t300746.html)

quiltlady1941 11-06-2018 10:09 AM

Bleached Muslin

Just wondering how many of you, use Bleached Muslin when you need a white fabric for a background fabric when piecing a quilt top..
I was at Joanns yesterday and the bleached muslin looked and felt pretty look.. not stiff and it looked like it had a lot of thread cut when holding the fabric to the light..it didn't look like it was thin fabric..
So how many of you use this in a quilt top?

Thanks..

I did end up buying 5 yards as I had a 40% coupon for one cut of fabric so got a good price on it..

Donnamarie 11-06-2018 10:33 AM

I try not to use Joanne's fabric for my quilts. If I spend all this time making one, I want to use good quilt shop quality fabric so the quilt will last many years. I made a quilt from Joanne's fabrics years ago and it did not last due to poor quality fabric. You taken your chances when using a lower grade quality fabric. I will purchase novelty fabrics at Joanne's for my pillowcases.

cashs_mom 11-06-2018 10:44 AM

I so rarely use plain white that I never thought about it. I usually use a white on white design for my backgrounds. I think it adds more interest to the quilt.

Jennifer23 11-06-2018 11:04 AM

Joann's sells some good quality muslin from top-grade manufacturers. I use it sometimes. I generally buy it at Joann's when I'm in the US, because the quilt shops near me don't carry it.

I like the feel of high-quality muslin, because it does have a higher thread count and is more tightly woven than quilting cotton.

tallchick 11-06-2018 01:21 PM

I have bolts of it in regular, 60 in, 90 in and 108 in widths and I like to use it for backings. I have never used it in piecing, I like other colors for a neutral in a quilt. I have been very happy with the quality of their muslin and never had a issue when quilting it on my logarm. I do buy it when I have a coupon, leaves me more money for more fabric.

dunster 11-06-2018 01:32 PM

JoAnn's has some very good quality fabrics, as well as some that are not as good. The price usually alerts you to the difference. They carry a wide variety of muslin, some of which are great for quilting, while others would be better in other types of projects. I like the Legacy Studio Premium muslin and have bought it at JoAnn's, as well as on Amazon. I sometimes use it in piecing, and sometimes on the back of a quilt.

Jingle 11-06-2018 03:02 PM

Every store that sells fabrics have different quality fabrics. Not everyone makes heirloom quilt or any quilts. People use fabrics for all kinds of projects. Buying over priced fabrics doesn't always mean they are better quality. Usually feeling fabrics will help you determine the quality or lack thereof.

I make lots of donation quilts and since I buy everything for them I usually make them out of mid range fabrics as that is what I buy for all my quilts.

SusieQOH 11-06-2018 04:04 PM

I don't like muslin for piecing. I prefer either Kona or Bella solids. They just feel more substantial to me.

greensleeves 11-06-2018 05:53 PM

I use the Premium Muslin from Joann's for background fabric when I want a light color background. I don't think you'll be disappointed using it. There is not a Joann's where I live so when I need more I take the 3 hour drive and buy it by the bolt and use a 50 off coupon.

Irishrose2 11-06-2018 07:45 PM

I bought wide Moda muslin in white and cream when my LQS had a sale. I can't tell the difference in quilting cotton and the muslin. It washed up nicely.