Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bleached Muslin

Bleached Muslin

Just wondering how many of you, use Bleached Muslin when you need a white fabric for a background fabric when piecing a quilt top..
    I was at Joanns yesterday and the bleached muslin looked and felt pretty look.. not stiff and it looked like it had a lot of thread cut when holding the fabric to the light..it didn't look like it was thin fabric..
    So how many of you use this in a quilt top?

Thanks..

I did end up buying 5 yards as I had a 40% coupon for one cut of fabric so got a good price on it..

I try not to use Joanne's fabric for my quilts. If I spend all this time making one, I want to use good quilt shop quality fabric so the quilt will last many years. I made a quilt from Joanne's fabrics years ago and it did not last due to poor quality fabric. You taken your chances when using a lower grade quality fabric. I will purchase novelty fabrics at Joanne's for my pillowcases.
    Donnamarie

I so rarely use plain white that I never thought about it. I usually use a white on white design for my backgrounds. I think it adds more interest to the quilt.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Joann's sells some good quality muslin from top-grade manufacturers. I use it sometimes. I generally buy it at Joann's when I'm in the US, because the quilt shops near me don't carry it.

I like the feel of high-quality muslin, because it does have a higher thread count and is more tightly woven than quilting cotton.

I have bolts of it in regular, 60 in, 90 in and 108 in widths and I like to use it for backings. I have never used it in piecing, I like other colors for a neutral in a quilt. I have been very happy with the quality of their muslin and never had a issue when quilting it on my logarm. I do buy it when I have a coupon, leaves me more money for more fabric.
    Lisa

JoAnn's has some very good quality fabrics, as well as some that are not as good. The price usually alerts you to the difference. They carry a wide variety of muslin, some of which are great for quilting, while others would be better in other types of projects. I like the Legacy Studio Premium muslin and have bought it at JoAnn's, as well as on Amazon. I sometimes use it in piecing, and sometimes on the back of a quilt.

Every store that sells fabrics have different quality fabrics. Not everyone makes heirloom quilt or any quilts. People use fabrics for all kinds of projects. Buying over priced fabrics doesn't always mean they are better quality. Usually feeling fabrics will help you determine the quality or lack thereof.

I make lots of donation quilts and since I buy everything for them I usually make them out of mid range fabrics as that is what I buy for all my quilts.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I don't like muslin for piecing. I prefer either Kona or Bella solids. They just feel more substantial to me.

I use the Premium Muslin from Joann's for background fabric when I want a light color background. I don't think you'll be disappointed using it. There is not a Joann's where I live so when I need more I take the 3 hour drive and buy it by the bolt and use a 50 off coupon.
    jackie

I bought wide Moda muslin in white and cream when my LQS had a sale. I can't tell the difference in quilting cotton and the muslin. It washed up nicely.

I have bought JoAnn's unbleached and tea-dyed muslin for backings and, depending on the weight, piecing. I don't like Kona white because it feels too stiff. Thanks for the suggestion of JoAnn's bleached. Will check it out next time I'm in the store.

Muslin is marketed as being premium, good and sometimes utility quality. Each has its best uses. I use a lot of the premium quality in my work and usually buy it at Hobby Lobby. I use it also for backing of items that are not intended to be reversible. Works beautifully.

Blog Entries
    I prefer Kona ďSnowĒ for background...available at Hobby Lobby and Hancockís of Paducah. That said, I loved unbleached muslin when making 30ís quilts. I donít buy Joannís fabrics as a rule.
    Last edited by luvstoquilt; 11-07-2018 at 05:18 AM.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Power Poster
    I have used the Legacy Studio muslin from JoAnn. It feels nice.

It does shrink - at about the same rate as most of the other quilting type fabrics do.

Just a question/observation:

Why do people not seem to blink at the cost of a yard of fabric at a LQS - but seem to feel that they are being robbed if JoAnn charges the same for similar quality fabric?

(I remember people from "the older generation" going on and on about what things cost when they were younger - I am now a member "of the older generation".)

Power Poster
    I have used the Legacy Studio muslin from JoAnn. It feels nice.

It does shrink - at about the same rate as most of the other quilting type fabrics do. If I remember correctly, it shrank in length. Because I was making curtains out of it, I'm glad I found out that it shrank before I hemmed them.

Just a question/observation:

Why do people not seem to blink at the cost of a yard of fabric at a LQS - but seem to feel that they are being robbed if JoAnn charges the same for similar quality fabric?

(I remember people from "the older generation" going on and on about what things cost when they were younger - I am now a member "of the older generation".)

I bought some Roc-Lon tea-dyed muslin several years ago. The end label said it was "pre-shrunk". I did my usual water ritual before cutting it. It shrank a lot. More than the usual amount of "not pre-shrunk" fabric. It was pretty decent muslin after I shrank it.

I usually measure my fabrics before and after soaking and washing them. Almost all of them shrink - usually more in one direction than the other.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 11-07-2018 at 05:55 AM.

Bear, i don't feel that JAF has the quality of quilt shop fabric. That's why I don't buy it there. I order most of my fabric online from Moda or companies like Moda that I trust. I've never been disappointed.

Power Poster
    Most of the fabric in my stash is "older" - by about 20 to 30 years or so! So - I admit that my observations are probably out of date on what is currently available.

I did buy about $200 worth of fabric last winter for a quilt class from the LQS that was giving the class. One of the reds shrank over two inches in width and had excess dye in it. The others shrank only about an inch per yard. (Kind of blew my mind that I spent that much on one project!)

I do have to admit - that I have not recently looked carefully at any of the quilting cottons available at JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby or Walmart.

I need to shop my stash now!

However, in my stash, I do have:

Alexander Henry
    Benartex
    Hoffmann
    Kaufman
    Hoffman International
    Kona
    Peter Pan
    VIP
    Cranston
    Moda (not very much)
    Northcott
    John Kaldor
    Marcus Brothers
    Springs Industries
    David Textiles
    and several other lines along with some "no name" fabrics.

I did have a few batiks, but they don't have info on the selvages, and I gave most of them away.
    I'm not motivated enough to go downstairs to look at all the labels.

There is a difference between them - but - IMO, some of the differences are more in the line of "what I like in texture" versus "is this a 'fabric worthy of my time'".

I have noticed that sometimes there is even a difference in fabrics that have the same "name" on the selvage.

Do I "need" more fabric - I am still looking for about four yards of a John Kaldor. Other than that - not really.

Blog Entries
    I often use bleached muslin for backgrounds in quilting. Choose a good muslin, it doesn’t matter where you purchase it. The big box stores do carry some good quality along with lesser. If it passes your test as far as weave and thickness there is no reason not to use it.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Bear, i don't feel that JAF has the quality of quilt shop fabric. That's why I don't buy it there. I order most of my fabric online from Moda or companies like Moda that I trust. I've never been disappointed.

Joannes, along with most of the big box stores carry a variety of grades of fabrics. Although I donít buy a lot of fabric at joannes I do usually purchase the ( staples) there....muslins bleached and natural mostly. They carry some I consider ( utility fabric) that is quite thin. I use them for tracing patterns, and for foundations. They also carry really good muslins, better than Iíve found in some quilt shops. I have spent big bucks at reputable quilt shops for fabrics that were really not good quality. Each store has their good and not so good- and a range of price points.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I use natural muslin by the ton! Well, a lot anyway. For backing and for my favorite background fabric. I get a good quality like Moda Premium.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
    Just wondering how many of you, use Bleached Muslin when you need a white fabric for a background fabric when piecing a quilt top..
    I was at Joanns yesterday and the bleached muslin looked and felt pretty look.. not stiff and it looked like it had a lot of thread cut when holding the fabric to the light..it didn't look like it was thin fabric..
    So how many of you use this in a quilt top?
    Thanks.
    I did end up buying 5 yards as I had a 40% coupon for one cut of fabric so got a good price on it..
    Country Bumpkin that I was and am, we called it bleached or unbleached domestic. The bleached was often used for lingerie. To me, the unbleached often looks like the cotton bolls were ground up in the threads.
    for really nice underwear and lingerie, the lighter weight fabric was called "Diminity" or something that sounded like that. My great-aunt made nightgowns and underwear for Grandma, sewing it all by hand.

I buy JoAnns fabric, flannel and muslin there. I made a lot of quilts and have done so for 25 years. I believe a person has to look at each fabric line and what they intend to do with it. I have bought from quilt stores, JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, WalMart - I guess all of them. I don't have any bad experiences to share because I really have not had anything awful happen. I do not prewash or preshrink anything because I love the wrinkly, antiquey look that I get when I pull my latest creation out of the dryer. My sister can't bring herself to buy anything from JoAnns as she is convinced it will not hold up even though I haven't ever had that experience. I will say that if the only place I could buy cotton to make a quilt was from a quilt store, I would have given up the craft a long time ago. I think LQS and JoAnns really help support each other in that regard and I'm just thrilled there are so many places to purchase fabric.

Still Sew N, For JAF Keepsake Cottons which is their bargain basement fabric it won't hold up. When I first started quilting back in the early 90's I didn't know any better and made two bed size hand quilted quilts out of that fabric. Some has faded so badly it doesn't even look like the same fabric, others have become threadbare with very little use and laundering. I find their pricing strategies predatory. If you shop around (mostly on line) you will find many of their product pricing is inflated, drastically so, so they can continue to offer 40 and 50% (and occasionally 60%) off coupons tricking consumers into thinking they are getting a great deal, when in reality in the end they are paying the same as in many other mom and pop shops without a coupon. I recall when LQS fabric was mostly retailing in the $7 to $10 per yard range. Went into JAF and started looking at their batiks and was shocked when I saw $16 per yard on the bolt! The straw that broke this camel's back is when I witnessed an employee rolling their low end broadcloth onto a Kona Bolt. I don't think the employee was being intentionally deceitful in that, more it was a case of not knowing the difference and not giving a rat's patootie. I say that because I pointed it out to her and she just said black is black, it doesn't matter.

I use it all the time. Have been know to buy a bolt, because I use it so much. I by the best quality JoAnn's has and have always been pleased.

This has become quite a conversation about JoAnne's! It goes back to buy what you can afford. Just because it comes from JoAnne's, Hobby Lobby, WalMart or an LQS, does not speak to the quality of the piece you are buying. If you are an heirloom/quilt show quilter, LQS fabric may be what you want. If you are a craft quilter, perhaps you'd rather not pay the price. Personally I rarely buy at the LQS because, while I recognize they "usually" have fabrics that are more tightly woven, I don't want to pay the price. At the other stores, I can feel the piece I'm considering and decide if it is the quality for the project. Too, I'm a quilter who buys "some" not knowing what I will use it for and it will go into my stash and I can afford to buy "some" rather than going by a specific pattern. And, when I miscut, there is less guilt that I've just wasted that cut of fabric. I have purchased some LQS fabric that I felt was inferior and it frayed terribly so I wondered what was the big deal. I regularly shop the 3 mentioned and rarely am disappointed. Even the baby quilts that have endured a lot of love and laundry have held up well. As to muslin, I think one of its "downfalls" is the possibility of shrinking or that it may be thin so it is good to pay attention to what you are buying that it is the quality you want for the use you have for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast