Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Blocks on barns? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/blocks-barns-t109512.html)

fabric whisperer 03-23-2011 07:34 PM

Yup, we have lots here in Ohio, we have a whole trail that connects, and there are guilds that have maps of them. I had the link at one time, I think it originates in Columbiana County, or somewhere on the East Central area... I am at the edge of my town, and have a large peak at the top of my house... I usuallly hang a Christmas wreath there, very large, and asked my neighbors if they'd mind me making a quilt square for year-round, or a few for different seasons... they all got a kick out of it, and I'm planning on painting panels this summer with my kids! :thumbup: I don't have a barn, but my house and garage are getting one :)

http://www.ohiobarns.com/otherbarns/...uiltbarns.html will give you a nice list to see some of our trail here...

mshawii 03-23-2011 09:36 PM

Oh that is net, how nice of him to make you a big block. He deserves a pie for supper! :thumbup: :-P Jan

Anne P 03-23-2011 09:41 PM

I could have put one on the front of our garage, but now the meters for the solar panels take up the whole space. I do think I'll put one on the side of the garden shed, but it won't show from the street. Maybe I could get my hubby to mount one on the chimney, which is easily seen from the street. Are there any rules about where they can hang?
I also like the idea of hanging one on the front door instead of a wreath!

Barbshobbies 03-24-2011 05:51 AM

I would like to know where to get a pattern. I`m not very good at making anything with out a pattern.

nannya54 03-24-2011 07:02 AM

You can also find barn quilts for sale on Etsy.com. In the search area, just type Barn Quilts.

auntdeb 03-24-2011 03:27 PM

There are several states and countys within that have quilt squares on barns and some county or historical barns. There is a project in Alcona County MI that I am familiar with. I think they are very pretty.

selm 03-25-2011 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by PattyS
There is quite a story of how these blocks began showing up on barns.
A woman named of Donna Sue started what are now the oversized, brightly colored barn quilt squares appearing on barns throughout the Midwest and East. In Ohio in 2001, she made the first remodeled block of a barn quilt square in honor of her mother and to help a friend draw attention to his business from the nearby four-lane highway. In the nine years since, the modernized, oversized barn quilt squares have popped up as far East as New Jersey, with dozens of county and state quilt trails in between.

I think putting "paintings" on barns was a tradition going back many, many years in history. I can remember seeing stars, etc(without the 'block') on the sides of barns in a history book.
So I'm guessing this new quilt block thing grew from that.

I haven't seen any here in New England but saw some in Penn. once. They're fun to look and all a beautiful addition to the countryside.

mmmMMM 03-25-2011 06:07 AM

Check out www.NorthernIllinoisQuiltFest.com
We just helped put up one on a silo. By June, July, August there will be LOTS more! The map isn't quite ready yet, but should be soon. Lots of activities around quilts are coming in the 6 northern illinois counties. We're smoking!

44quiltlady 03-26-2011 11:48 AM

www.Northern IllinoisQuiltFest.com in July, August, and September, 2011 is having a big event all summer. "Travel the Trail from Barns to Bedcovers." There are six counties from Lake Michigan to the Mississippi River--travel the gently rolling hills of Northern IL and discover unique treasures that each county holds. Check out the site for more information.

ruck9085 03-26-2011 03:36 PM

I live in Central KY and we have barn quilts everywhere! Nearly every barn has a barn quilt on the hay loft door. They were done by the Bluegrass Energy folks and the people from Berea College, I believe they said. They are really beautiful!