Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Blue Book for Sewing Machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/blue-book-sewing-machines-t272749.html)

dc989 11-28-2015 09:47 AM

Blue Book for Sewing Machines?

I want to sell my machine. It is two years old and was just serviced. I don't know how to determine a selling price. Is there a site or blue book for sewing machines where I could determine how much to ask? BTW I have decided to downsize and have too much stuff. The machine is great, but I really can't keep them all. It is not an embroidery machine. I have been trying to find the receipt, but haven't found it yet. I know I had a trade in which reduced the price quite a bit. Going back to the dealer is not an option.

maryb119 11-28-2015 10:01 AM

Look on Ebay and see what the same machine is listed for. Can you email a dealer and ask?

KalamaQuilts 11-28-2015 10:24 AM

there aren't any blue books that I'm aware of because used sewing machine prices are a moving target. When my time comes (soon-ish, as I'm losing my vision) I think I'll ask my dealer to sell it for me on commission. Good luck with the downsizing.

PaperPrincess 11-28-2015 10:50 AM

As mentioned, ebay is a good source for pricing, but you need to look at the completed sales to see what people have actually paid vs. the asking price.

Shelbie 11-28-2015 02:43 PM

Advertise it in your local quilt guild's newsletter. It may just be the perfect machine for one of the quilters.

UFOs Galore 11-28-2015 04:34 PM

There used to be one that was printed annually. So, you are not wrong in your thinking. With the internet and eBay, it has become obsolete and they no longer print it. "maryb119" was correct, your best indicator of current value is what they are selling for on eBay. What people have actually paid to acquire the machine.

Dolphyngyrl 11-28-2015 08:00 PM

The sewing machine bluebook guy died so the best way is to look what things go for on ebay

Prism99 11-28-2015 08:42 PM

Regarding eBay, first set up an account with them (it's free). Search for your brand and model of machine and, when the search ends, scan along the lefthand side of the screen to find "completed listings" and check that box. It will change the search to list only those that have previously been listed. You need to be logged into your account in order to see that "completed listings" box! When you look at completed listings, be aware that only the green prices are machines that actually sold. Anything with a black listing price was offered for sale but did not actually sell. Your best gauge of price is on machines that actually sold, although sometimes you can add a little to the price when selling locally (because people don't have to deal with the uncertainties of mail and whether the machine actually works or not).

Watson58 11-29-2015 05:12 AM

also, after setting up your ebay account, when you see your machine, add it to your Watch List. Then when it ends you will see what it sold for in your watch list. It will stay in your watch list until you delete it.

ManiacQuilter2 11-29-2015 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7388921)
As mentioned, eBay is a good source for pricing, but you need to look at the completed sales to see what people have actually paid vs. the asking price.

PaperPrincess is so right. It is ONLY worth what someone will pay for your machine. You might just put the word out at your LQS or quilt guilds. On eBay, place the name and make of you machine in the search box, then look down on the left side of the page below location and delivery option:

Show only
Returns accepted
Completed listings
Sold listings

Check the Sold Listing and you will be able to see what the actual selling price was on the various completed auctions.