Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Blue Book for Sewing Machines?

Blue Book for Sewing Machines?

I want to sell my machine. It is two years old and was just serviced. I don't know how to determine a selling price. Is there a site or blue book for sewing machines where I could determine how much to ask? BTW I have decided to downsize and have too much stuff. The machine is great, but I really can't keep them all. It is not an embroidery machine. I have been trying to find the receipt, but haven't found it yet. I know I had a trade in which reduced the price quite a bit. Going back to the dealer is not an option.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-28-2015 at 01:43 PM.

Look on Ebay and see what the same machine is listed for. Can you email a dealer and ask?

there aren't any blue books that I'm aware of because used sewing machine prices are a moving target. When my time comes (soon-ish, as I'm losing my vision) I think I'll ask my dealer to sell it for me on commission. Good luck with the downsizing.

Blog Entries
    As mentioned, ebay is a good source for pricing, but you need to look at the completed sales to see what people have actually paid vs. the asking price.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Advertise it in your local quilt guild's newsletter. It may just be the perfect machine for one of the quilters.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

There used to be one that was printed annually. So, you are not wrong in your thinking. With the internet and eBay, it has become obsolete and they no longer print it. "maryb119" was correct, your best indicator of current value is what they are selling for on eBay. What people have actually paid to acquire the machine.

The sewing machine bluebook guy died so the best way is to look what things go for on ebay
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    Regarding eBay, first set up an account with them (it's free). Search for your brand and model of machine and, when the search ends, scan along the lefthand side of the screen to find "completed listings" and check that box. It will change the search to list only those that have previously been listed. You need to be logged into your account in order to see that "completed listings" box! When you look at completed listings, be aware that only the green prices are machines that actually sold. Anything with a black listing price was offered for sale but did not actually sell. Your best gauge of price is on machines that actually sold, although sometimes you can add a little to the price when selling locally (because people don't have to deal with the uncertainties of mail and whether the machine actually works or not).

Blog Entries
    also, after setting up your ebay account, when you see your machine, add it to your Watch List. Then when it ends you will see what it sold for in your watch list. It will stay in your watch list until you delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    As mentioned, eBay is a good source for pricing, but you need to look at the completed sales to see what people have actually paid vs. the asking price.
    PaperPrincess is so right. It is ONLY worth what someone will pay for your machine. You might just put the word out at your LQS or quilt guilds. On eBay, place the name and make of you machine in the search box, then look down on the left side of the page below location and delivery option:

Show only
    Returns accepted
    Completed listings
    Sold listings

Check the Sold Listing and you will be able to see what the actual selling price was on the various completed auctions.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

It would be great if there was a Blue Book
    Carmen E.

Blog Entries
    A Blue Book for machines would be such a great thing to have..
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

I had a machine about 4yrs old that I paid $500.00 for. It was in very good condition with box and instructions. I looked at prices for that machine at shops. I sold it at a yard sale for $300.00 and the buyer was very happy. When I told the sales people at the shop I had bought it from I was told I would never have gotten that much from then.
    Try a yard sale.
    margee