Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pin stab...oh NO...help!!!

Pin stab...oh NO...help!!!

I have 2 little drops and a tiny smear of blood on light pink kona fabric, on quilt that is almost finished...and worse, it dried.

Does anyone know what REALLY works to remove it.... without bleaching out the fabric?

Believe it or not...your own spit will get out the blood stain. It works every time. Cold...not hot water with light detergent will work too. Heat of any sort sets the stain.
    Last edited by osewme; 11-23-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Tide stick works for me. Cold water. Air dry. Don't press until you're sure it's completely out.

Spit always worked for me but that was before it dried. Your spit only works with your own blood. Don't panic, at least blood does come out.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    Chew a little wad of white thread until it is full of your saliva. Use the little wad to dab on the blood spots. Disgusting but it works to start the blood breakdown. After the blood is loose it should wash out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Chew a little wad of white thread until it is full of your saliva. Use the little wad to dab on the blood spots. Disgusting but it works to start the blood breakdown. After the blood is loose it should wash out.
    That's exactly what I was taught as a child - and it usually works for me!

Blog Entries
    Or a cotton ball with your saliva will absolutely work on your own blood. Get it moistened good.

I have a hard time believing that only your own saliva will remove your blood stain. Has anyone tested it with someone else's saliva or someone else's blood? (Stay safe, don't do something stupid while testing this out, LOL.)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Rid makes dab-on pens for specific spots (grease, tomato, blood...) have used them successfully. I also like the spray-on oxi clean and grandma's spot remover.

Blog Entries
    Hydrogen peroxide
    ♥♥♥ Loving Mama ♥♥♥

If life gives you scraps, make an angel quilt out of it!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    Believe it or not...your own spit will get out the blood stain. It works every time. Cold...not hot water with light detergent will work too. Heat of any sort sets the stain.
    This is true; your own saliva has enzymes that effect the blood smear. This little tidbit probably has something to do with the also fact that when one swallows much of their own blood it can be quite nauseating. (Yeah, I know, swallowing any blood is really gross, PERIOD!)

Try the spit technique.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I learn something new all the time here....chew a wad of thread...who would have thunk!!!

For blood, hydrogen peroxide. I'm a nurse..... I've been there.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    This works for me. I tried the bread wad and didn't work out of habit I swallowed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingmama View Post
    Hydrogen peroxide

I have always used my own spit, and it has always worked. I use Qtips.

i always use spit always works

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Spit always worked for me but that was before it dried. Your spit only works with your own blood. Don't panic, at least blood does come out.
    Yes, before it dries, that works very well. After it dries, Biz works. Make a solution of Biz and water in a small container. Dunk the stained portion of the quilt into this container and let it set for at least an hour. Then look at it. If it's not all gone, soak it longer. Then rinse the Biz out of that portion.

I've always had very good luck with Biz.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Hydrogen peroxide always goes after protein-based substances (blood). I'm a bit of a bleeder, so the least little prick gets me going and about the time I think it has stopped, I discover a trail of dots on my quilt. Over 30 years, peroxide on a swab has never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    Spit is also used to clean oil paintings - believe it or not. I cleaned one once with spit and cotton tips and it worked well.
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I have a hard time believing that only your own saliva will remove your blood stain. Has anyone tested it with someone else's saliva or someone else's blood? (Stay safe, don't do something stupid while testing this out, LOL.)
    I first learned this trick while watching a sewing show on TV where they interviewed someone who works with preserving antique needlework. They asked her what is the best thing for someone to do when they bleed on their project. She said the enzymes in your spit match your blood. Weird, but it's always right there when I need it. :-)
    Thimble and Thread

Blog Entries
    Yes, yes, hydrogen peroxide...works like a dream.

I've had good success with using spit, and a little salt. Hydrogen peroxide works too~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I just had foot surgery and why they give you a white stocking to put over your surgery area is beyond me but yes the area seeped a little. When I put it into the machine with other whites I sprayed it with Spray & Wash. It all came out and it had dried for a couple days before I washed it. Have also used peroxide to get rid of a stain too. Just enough till I see it working then I rinse it out so it doesn't take the color out too. Keep using it till the entire stain is gone, then launder as usual.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Cold water will take out blood. Even dried on blood. Just soak it in the cold water. You might have to rub it a bit, but it's always worked for me. NO HOT WATER. (Thanks, Grandma )
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I use an ice cube and rub over the stains blotting with clean paper towel as I go.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast