Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Have you ever gotten poor fabric from a name brand fabric?

Have you ever gotten poor fabric from a name brand fabric?

I recently bought a half yard of Windham fabric for a project. I handwashed before using just as I always do and it distorted. Once I lined it up matching the repeats the selvages were straight again but each side was off by 1-1/2 inch. I notified Windham but never heard back.

I expect this kind of distortion from discount fabrics, but when I pay over $11 per yard, I want the full yard.

Now I'm afraid to buy Windham fabrics again, and not sure about the other name brands either although I've never had it happen with Moda.

I have found all cotton fabric will shrink and distort some once washed. Some more then others but they all do. It's the nature of cotton.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    It happens. I think you should contact the place from which you purchased the fabric, as they may make it up to you (and contact Windham themselves about the issue).

Yes, you should bring it to the attention of the LQS so that they don't sell it to any other customer. Usually errors are caught when the fabric is being loaded onto the cardboard bolts and pulled off the line to be sold to jobbers for resale as 2nd quality fabric.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Thanks. I'll call the quilt shop tomorrow and let them know.

I found it does pay to complain. Definitely show it to the LQS but if you can spare a piece, send it along with a letter to the mfgr. Hope at least someone gives you some sort of satisfaction.

Blog Entries
    It sounds like the printing is skewed. I just made a quilt top using two panels, on one the printing was off by over an inch on a 1/2 yard panel. I was able to make it work.

Have you pulled a thread to straighten the grain?

If it is a printing error (printed off grain), there is nothing you can do, but depending on how big you need to cut the pieces it may not make too much difference.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Sometimes you can improve things by pulling opposite corners to align better. (It works with blocks, too, lol.)

Selvage will shrink much more then the fabric making the fabric ends shorter. If the repeats line up then the fabric didn't shrink as much as the selvage ends.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I've experienced it with every 'name brand' manufacturer at one time or another, even Moda... and had many a bargin fabric with no issues at all. Stuff happens. By all means take it to the place of purchase. Squeeky wheels and all that.

Yes, I recently bought a fabric (don't know the brand as it has been cut up) from my LQS. It had a flaw running through the fabric that I did not realize until I had cut most of it up.

I made Christmas placemats for last Christmas that had metallic swirls in them. (Well known brand) It was from a LQS at $12.99 a yard. Some of the metallic swirls have tarnished and look green. They were stored in my linen closet since last year, so I am blaming the fabric.

Blog Entries
    Moda seems to fray a lot more than it used to. Is it just me?
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Moda changed their thread count for a time and then changed it back after so many complained. Some of the older Moda is different then the oldest and newest. 65 threads per inch is the standard quilt fabric count.

Blog Entries
    yes Moda frays....grrrr.... but bought some anyway because the medium gray with a crackle pattern (named 'steel') was the perfect gray........it not only frays it fuzzes and cutting it is miserable....not the cutter blade, which I changed even though it worked fine on the other fabrics...while (even single layer) skips on the "Steel"......so when I needed to cut two fabrics together I had the "steel" on top...and this is where it gets just plain weird.....the bottom fabric (a Northcott) cut cleanly and the top had to have several places snipped apart with scissors......I did not think this could happen.....the underneath fabric cut cleanly and the top not cut ............ in the future I will resist the temptation to buy a Moda, no matter how perfect.
    Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 12-05-2015 at 07:34 AM.

Recently mail-ordered a large wide-backing dark blue fabric for double-bed size quilt. There was a quarter-sized spot smack dab in the middle of it that had no dye, just white fabric. Called the customer service and was immediately given a return authorization. (They said if the piece had been smaller, they probably would have just sent a new piece, but this one was quite large and they could cut around it and resell in smaller pieces.)

Blog Entries
    My local little "everything" shop has fabric - a lot of it is name brand. Used to be bargain priced, now about the same.
    I have learned to look over the piece I want before they cut it. There have been fade lines, dye fault and various other things. Still a good "run to" place.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I buy my fabrics from jelly roll fabric. They tell me never to prewash because it's already been done. I don't know about there 1/2 yds or whole yards. All I know is I love them and they are a good company.

Windham is not perfect. There are the occasional bad fabric with ALL manufacturers , so does that mean you are going to stop buying fabric. I think not. I don't ever remember returning fabric to any store but if I see something wrong before they cut it I show it to them. The place where I usually buy fabric is always generous with their cutting ( small shop in Boston called Sewfisticated, very very generous and they always have customers). So if I get the occasional bad piece no sweat. I guess I'm easy to please. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Yes, I've paid good money for bad fabric. It surprises me that Windham did not respond.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Panels are the worst, because most of the time they aren't printed straight on grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Oistin View Post
    ...( small shop in Boston called Sewfisticated, very very generous and they always have customers)....
    Oistin...is this shop still in Dorchester on Morrisey Blvd.? I used to live in Quincy and Sewfisticated and Saftler's (Whitman - no longer open) were my two go to stores for quilt fabric. Haven't been fabric shopping in years down in the Boston area.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I have had a bad experience with Michael Miller Fabric as well. It was the only time that I was disappointed in fabric from a well known manufacturer. When I emailed them they did respond that it is hard to be sure of the quality of
    the fabrics as they are manufactured in many foreign countries. The fabric was designed by Patty Young. I figure once isn't too bad considering the HUGE amount of fabric that I have purchased over the past 20 years.