Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever gotten poor fabric from a name brand fabric? >

Have you ever gotten poor fabric from a name brand fabric?

Have you ever gotten poor fabric from a name brand fabric?

Old 12-05-2015, 05:35 AM

Yes, I recently bought a fabric (don't know the brand as it has been cut up) from my LQS. It had a flaw running through the fabric that I did not realize until I had cut most of it up.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:40 AM

I made Christmas placemats for last Christmas that had metallic swirls in them. (Well known brand) It was from a LQS at $12.99 a yard. Some of the metallic swirls have tarnished and look green. They were stored in my linen closet since last year, so I am blaming the fabric.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:11 AM

Moda seems to fray a lot more than it used to. Is it just me?
Old 12-05-2015, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Moda changed their thread count for a time and then changed it back after so many complained. Some of the older Moda is different then the oldest and newest. 65 threads per inch is the standard quilt fabric count.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:22 AM

yes Moda frays....grrrr.... but bought some anyway because the medium gray with a crackle pattern (named 'steel') was the perfect gray........it not only frays it fuzzes and cutting it is miserable....not the cutter blade, which I changed even though it worked fine on the other fabrics...while (even single layer) skips on the "Steel"......so when I needed to cut two fabrics together I had the "steel" on top...and this is where it gets just plain weird.....the bottom fabric (a Northcott) cut cleanly and the top had to have several places snipped apart with scissors......I did not think this could happen.....the underneath fabric cut cleanly and the top not cut ............ in the future I will resist the temptation to buy a Moda, no matter how perfect.

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 12-05-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:40 AM

Recently mail-ordered a large wide-backing dark blue fabric for double-bed size quilt. There was a quarter-sized spot smack dab in the middle of it that had no dye, just white fabric. Called the customer service and was immediately given a return authorization. (They said if the piece had been smaller, they probably would have just sent a new piece, but this one was quite large and they could cut around it and resell in smaller pieces.)
Old 12-05-2015, 11:21 AM

My local little "everything" shop has fabric - a lot of it is name brand. Used to be bargain priced, now about the same.
I have learned to look over the piece I want before they cut it. There have been fade lines, dye fault and various other things. Still a good "run to" place.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:06 AM

I buy my fabrics from jelly roll fabric. They tell me never to prewash because it's already been done. I don't know about there 1/2 yds or whole yards. All I know is I love them and they are a good company.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:49 AM

Windham is not perfect. There are the occasional bad fabric with ALL manufacturers , so does that mean you are going to stop buying fabric. I think not. I don't ever remember returning fabric to any store but if I see something wrong before they cut it I show it to them. The place where I usually buy fabric is always generous with their cutting ( small shop in Boston called Sewfisticated, very very generous and they always have customers). So if I get the occasional bad piece no sweat. I guess I'm easy to please. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:51 AM

Yes, I've paid good money for bad fabric. It surprises me that Windham did not respond.