Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bobbin winding question for Juki TL-2010Q (or 98) owners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbin-winding-question-juki-tl-2010q-98-owners-t216395.html)

katier825 03-14-2013 03:38 PM

Bobbin winding question for Juki TL-2010Q (or 98) owners

I just received my new Juki TL-2010Q machine today. I love it! I did have some trouble winding a bobbin and I don't know if it's just me not interpreting the directions correctly or if there might be some adjustment to make. The first few times, it just kept sounding like it was spinning, but didn't want to catch. I finally got one wound, although it does look like I need to adjust the screw because it winds fuller at the bottom than the top.

Is there a special trick or something I should be checking for? Does the presser foot need to be down when winding? I didn't notice anything like that in the instructions. I surely wish they would put all the English in one section though so I can find my place quicker. :)

tatavw01 03-14-2013 04:34 PM

I made a copy of the instructions in English and made my own book. I thread the thread thru the opening in the bobbin hold until it start winding, when there's some thread on the bobbin I cut the tail and continue winding. This always works for me. Hope this helps.

katier825 03-14-2013 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by tatavw01 (Post 5928802)
I made a copy of the instructions in English and made my own book. I thread the thread thru the opening in the bobbin hold until it start winding, when there's some thread on the bobbin I cut the tail and continue winding. This always works for me. Hope this helps.

Funny you should say that about the instructions...I told my hubby that earlier. I think I will do the same. I did the same for the winding, but the bobbin wasn't spinning. I don't think I'm supposed to slide it over like on my Viking. I think that's what that little arm is for. For some reason, it doesn't want to wind. I will try again tomorrow and see if I have better luck.

virtualbernie 03-14-2013 10:21 PM

On my 98Q you have to twist the bobbin on the spindle until you feel/hear it click all the way down then push the arm over. If it doesn't click, it won't wind.

NUBQ 03-15-2013 08:44 AM

Make sure you fit the notch in bobbin to the proper place on the post...

sharoney 03-15-2013 08:58 AM

Be sure to bring the thread through the little metal thingy on the top-back of the machine, make sure the bobbin catches on the little tab when you put it on the winder, and then close the little arm. I hold the loose thread straight up til it winds several times and then cut it. Hope this helps.

callen 03-15-2013 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by NUBQ (Post 5930074)
Make sure you fit the notch in bobbin to the proper place on the post...

I second that & I always put a little tension on the thread by gently holding the thread with my fingers (gently) & make sure you have the thread on the proper tension guide on the top of the machine. I have the 98 TL. Hope this helps.

katier825 03-15-2013 01:33 PM

Is the bobbin supposed to fit snugly on the larger pin? Mine doesn't. Any other machine I've used the bobbin kind of clicked in and didn't move on it's own.

Maybe when I'm holding the thread up the bobbin moved so the little pin wasn't in the groove. I will try again and try to be more careful.

katier825 03-15-2013 04:18 PM

I've got it working now. It was user error! LOL Apparently when I was holding the thread up, I was moving the bobbin and it wasn't sitting properly in the groove. All is well!

I LOVE this machine! The tension has been perfect since I took it out of the box! I think it will be a very quick learning time. My stitches are already so much better tonight than last night. I hope to have some pics uploaded sometime this weekend.

Thanks for your help!

asimplelife 03-15-2013 06:54 PM

Glad you figured it out! I ADORE mine too (had it since mid January) and it has made quilting fun. I have yet to adjust my tension for anything and I've used several different brands of thread with no problems at all. I even love oiling it.

If I could only find a way to make sandwiching tops fun I would just quilt all the time! It's also great for machine sewn bindings, it handles the bulk with ease.

Have fun!