Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   BOM pattern mistake-Math help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bom-pattern-mistake-math-help-t45405.html)

sewcrafty 05-10-2010 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
If it's Block of the Month, I think it is really important that the block be the correct measurement. I would either look for a different block or fix this one so it measures square. If I am gauging your photo correctly, all you would need to do is add a strip to the bottom of the machine to square up the block.

That's exactly what I was thinking!! Just cut a 1" strip to sew on the bottom.

Good Luck!!

gmcsewer 05-10-2010 04:48 AM

Make the bottom strip wood grain material or a dark color to represent a table or desk. I did an applique block of a sewing machine, and it did have the "table" piece on the bottom. or sew a strip across the top the same color as the background. Sew it so that the top and bottom of the spool come out the same. Quite a complicated block.

Beth33 05-10-2010 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a nice block! Mind if I steal it?

If it were me, and I needed that 3/4 inch more, I'd break up the machine into sections, top, throat area, and bottom-
then add 1/4 inch to each section

amma 05-10-2010 08:12 AM

If you were omitting the spool at the top, you could just add your additional 1/2" to the width of the white fabric there, and cut the white side piece a 1/2" longer too.

If I was going to keep the spool, I would add a 1/2" to the pieces in the center, in the throat area of the machine. Add a 1/2" to the 2 white pieces, the purple square, and the white strip on the side. I don't think that would compromise the look of the block.

MadQuilter 05-10-2010 08:53 AM

I am surprised you got 11.75"
When I do the math, I only come up with 11" on the overall height. Add the components that make up the height: L+A+K+A=2+3.5+3.5+3.5 = 12.5 Subtract the seam allowance for 3 seams @.5 ea = 1.5

12.5-1.5 = 11

Candace 05-10-2010 09:05 AM

Are you sure you've got 1/4" seam allowances?? Double check your block for accuracy.

quilt addict 05-10-2010 11:00 AM

Beth 33, I don't mind if you use it.

Madquilter, I added it up too and did check my seam allowances. So it is an error in the pattern.

I think I will go with the simplist which is to add a piece to the bottom as suggested to look like the table.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestion. Can always count on this board! :D

dsb38327 05-10-2010 03:24 PM

:shock: You guys are making me dizzy..:shock:
:hunf: Waaaaaay over my head. :hunf:

(And I'm lovin it!).

MadQuilter 05-10-2010 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
So it is an error in the pattern.

Absolutely! I'd have to redraft it to see which piece I would enlarge. Another option is to add the sashing strip on top as part of the pattern. Throwing hands up in frustration.

quilt addict 05-10-2010 06:27 PM

I guess you get what you pay for! A free pattern I didn't ask for. But it is cute.

Thank you for everyone's assistance.