Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   BOM pattern mistake-Math help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bom-pattern-mistake-math-help-t45405.html)

quilt addict 05-09-2010 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have to supply the BOM pattern for guild this week. I got this pattern on the online Shop Hop site for free. I thought it was really cute and would be popular. Well I made a sample block today and the pattern has numerous mistakes. The biggest is it ends up being 12 1/2" x 11 3/4" unfinished. Ugh, do I try to figure out how to resize the pieces or just let it go and do odd sized blocks?

This was the sample I made
[ATTACH=CONFIG]55981[/ATTACH]

DebraK 05-09-2010 08:09 PM

a copy of the instructions would help.

Prism99 05-09-2010 08:11 PM

If it's Block of the Month, I think it is really important that the block be the correct measurement. I would either look for a different block or fix this one so it measures square. If I am gauging your photo correctly, all you would need to do is add a strip to the bottom of the machine to square up the block.

littlehud 05-09-2010 08:23 PM

It's a cute block but I can't help you with the math. :cry:

quilt addict 05-09-2010 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes the easiest would be to just add a strip to the bottom but I don't think it would look right. To fix it I would have to change the sizes of the blocks in that direction. I have attached the directions. The other problems were the dimensions of the corner triangles, not sure if that is what you call it. They were not the right size to meet the corner or on the spool look right.

Thanks for your help.

Quilt pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]56056[/ATTACH]

Candace 05-09-2010 08:38 PM

I appreciate you mentioning this as I downloaded this pattern too. If there's a bunch of boo-boos it's not worth the effort:<

Prism99 05-09-2010 09:09 PM

Is this going to be just one block in a quilt that is made up of many different blocks? That's what BOM usually means to me. If so, the block has to be the same measurement as the other blocks.

Given all the problems you had with the six pages of directions, I would either re-draft the entire pattern or find another pattern to use.

quilt addict 05-09-2010 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Is this going to be just one block in a quilt that is made up of many different blocks? That's what BOM usually means to me. If so, the block has to be the same measurement as the other blocks.

Given all the problems you had with the six pages of directions, I would either re-draft the entire pattern or find another pattern to use.

Our BOM, everyone that participates makes the same block. Then we draw a winner that gets all the blocks. So they would all be the same. The pattern shows a sashing used for a setting but it is up to the winner what they want to do with them.

DebraK 05-09-2010 09:25 PM

okay, on second look, I would eliminate the triangle spool at the top. Do empty spool.

I'm hoping this is just your sample and you haven't cut and made bunches. Sorry, rereading your thread, this probably makes no sense.

Prism99 05-10-2010 12:47 AM

In that case, I wouldn't worry about the size. However, I would definitely correct the directions for the triangular pieces.

I agree with leaving the spool off. This simplifies the block, plus the spool doesn't add anything much to the design.