Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Boo Boo with binding. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/boo-boo-binding-t79254.html)

bels 11-29-2010 07:51 PM

Leave it, it's fine.

Gerbie 11-29-2010 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by nancy42
I just finished DS quilt for Christmas except for the binding.
I inadvertantly cut the binding strips at 2" instead of 2 1/2 "
I sewed it on from the front by machine and turned and pinned it to the back to hand sew down. It is narrow so all the binding is on back of quilt. It looks good that way actually but wasn't sure how many quilting rules I broke doing it this way. Should I take it off and start over with larger binding strips ?

NOT HARDLY my friend. Where are the quilting police, did someone call them and have you arrested for this, lol. Don't even think about doing it over, especially if it looks good to you. Who cares about rules, if things work out o.k. Rules can be broken, and new ones discovered. Who said there are set rules for quilting anyway.

jitkaau 11-29-2010 08:12 PM

Not if it works.

Val in IN 11-29-2010 08:27 PM

It's called "Creativity"...you never know, someone may want to copy your beautiful binding technique someday!

Val in IN 11-29-2010 08:29 PM

It's called "Creativity"...you never know, someone may want to copy your beautiful binding technique someday!

Momsmurf 11-29-2010 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by nancy42
I just finished DS quilt for Christmas except for the binding.
I inadvertantly cut the binding strips at 2" instead of 2 1/2 "
I sewed it on from the front by machine and turned and pinned it to the back to hand sew down. It is narrow so all the binding is on back of quilt. It looks good that way actually but wasn't sure how many quilting rules I broke doing it this way. Should I take it off and start over with larger binding strips ?

You just created another "original" binding option...
There are NO rules in my quilting book...at least none that can't be modified to fit the user. As long as it works...it's good! Good job. :thumbup:

quilterfly 11-29-2010 09:04 PM

I've used bindings as narrow 1 7/8" because I prefer the way it looks. What you like is what you should do. I got into quilting learning all the inviolable rules, but aging has changed that for me. Now if I like it, I let it be.

penski 11-29-2010 09:07 PM

hey, if it looks good leave it alone

M.I.Late 11-29-2010 09:28 PM

I just did this too. It was too tight and pulled the quilt out of shape. I removed it and replaced it with 2 1/2". Very glad I did! Now it looks normal. It was definitely not right the way it was. I have no regrets that I took the time to redo it.

nancy42 11-29-2010 09:33 PM

I think it turned out very nice. I will post a picture on picture site of forum hopefully tomorrow. I'm anxious to hear what everyone thinks. Thanks everyone for all the great encouragement !