Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Boo Hoo.. My GO just gave up on me.. Boo Hoo.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/boo-hoo-my-go-just-gave-up-me-boo-hoo-t179428.html)

luvTooQuilt 02-14-2012 08:06 PM

Boo Hoo.. My GO just gave up on me.. Boo Hoo....

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Go and today I was going to cut 2x2 scrappy sqs and I cannot turn the handle without brute force-BOO HOO... believe me I didnt force it, I knew id probably break the thing in half..
So now I have to find something else to do while I wait till morning to contact Accuquilt on what I can do.... I do hope they can help, otherwise Im off to buy another one.. Hmmmm maybe a studio !!!!!! Every cloud has a silver lining..

mighty 02-15-2012 07:34 AM

I love my go and stuido cutters, hope you can get this fixed!!!

retrogirl02 02-15-2012 08:19 AM

Sadly, experienced the very same thing. company sent a replacement handle, though I explained that my husband said it was more likely gear related. He was right....and they wanted me to pay to ship it fully open with a long die stuck in it.

We tried everything to remove the die to lower the shipping costs. At first, we were worried about not being too harsh with it (so they could see what had gone wrong) but eventually, we spent days yanking on that thing.

I would think by now, they'd offer to replace through JoAnns since they're everywhere in the US to make this easier for customers. I was unwilling to pay to ship because there was no promise to fix/replace.

When we finally got it open, the tiny gears were completely stripped & not from misuse, I assure you-----dad worked in metal business for decades, looked at it and said the gears hadn't been heated properly, likely that the whole batch was bad.

I do hope you have better luck than I did.

Peckish 02-15-2012 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by retrogirl02 (Post 4977311)
dad worked in metal business for decades, looked at it and said the gears hadn't been heated properly, likely that the whole batch was bad.

Oh dear. So, I'm gathering the gears are made of steel and weren't put through that second stage of heating to make them less brittle? Is that what your dad said? Why am I not surprised, mine says "Made in China".

How long ago did you get your cutter, and what did Accuquilt do about the gears? Did you get a new one?

luvTooQuilt 02-15-2012 08:32 AM

No my die wasnt stuck.. It just made a horrible noise then froze just as I was going to crank the die thru.. I called Accuquilt.. $50 to fix- no guarantee- and shipping to and from with insurance.. hmmmm, $100 bucks maybe total.. plus be with out a GO for about a month... Well for another 100 bucks I can get a new one with a year warranty OR just get the Studio, for which I have absolutely no room for but it has a lifetime guarantee.. hmmm something to ponder.. Joannes has them for $199.99 ... I just may go that route.. I cant see it being fixed,

Originally Posted by retrogirl02 (Post 4977311)
Sadly, experienced the very same thing. company sent a replacement handle, though I explained that my husband said it was more likely gear related. He was right....and they wanted me to pay to ship it fully open with a long die stuck in it.

We tried everything to remove the die to lower the shipping costs. At first, we were worried about not being too harsh with it (so they could see what had gone wrong) but eventually, we spent days yanking on that thing.

I would think by now, they'd offer to replace through JoAnns since they're everywhere in the US to make this easier for customers. I was unwilling to pay to ship because there was no promise to fix/replace.

When we finally got it open, the tiny gears were completely stripped & not from misuse, I assure you-----dad worked in metal business for decades, looked at it and said the gears hadn't been heated properly, likely that the whole batch was bad.

I do hope you have better luck than I did.

AliKat 02-15-2012 09:13 AM

Thanks for letting us know. Hmmm. I wonder if the models they use in the LQS's, being bigger, are stronger???? Hmmm.

Not that I glad ... but it does make my Alto's AccuQuilt2 look even more appealing and cost effective.

ali

BellaBoo 02-15-2012 09:53 AM

Mine is five year old too. I haven't babied it and used it to the max and pushed it's limits many times so if it does give up I know I have gotten my money's worth out of it.

Shankquilt 02-15-2012 10:14 AM

Well if you have a chance to upgrade I would encourage you to go with the Studio. It is truly a workhorse and has saved me so much time.

luvTooQuilt 02-15-2012 01:11 PM

Ive had for about 4-5 years now.. I used it almost every day, I woudn't abuse and push it to its limits but it was used quite a bit for long periods of time... Hubby sys that even if I get a new one send the old one off.. For a $100 bucks its worth the gamble..

Men !!!!

for a hundred bucks I can buy A LOT OF FABRICS !!!!!

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 4977344)
Oh dear. So, I'm gathering the gears are made of steel and weren't put through that second stage of heating to make them less brittle? Is that what your dad said? Why am I not surprised, mine says "Made in China".

How long ago did you get your cutter, and what did Accuquilt do about the gears? Did you get a new one?

lonestardreams 02-15-2012 01:37 PM

I sure hope you get things worked out. I don't use mine very much but I love it when I do. Good luck-