Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Border for Hunters Star (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/border-hunters-star-t316851.html)

woodsie2523 11-16-2021 09:12 AM

Border for Hunters Star

1 Attachment(s)
I have these triangles left from making a Hunters Start quilt. I made 4 blocks 20"x20" but I want it rectangular. How can I use these pieces along the top and bottom to lengthen the quilt? Any suggestions please? Thank you!

cashs_mom 11-16-2021 09:48 AM

I'd use them just as you have them pictured with plain triangle in between. In other words, make half square triangle squares out of them with half the square being one of these blocks and the other half being a solid.

woodsie2523 11-16-2021 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 8520020)
I'd use them just as you have them pictured with plain triangle in between. In other words, make half square triangle squares out of them with half the square being one of these blocks and the other half being a solid.

Yes, I thought so too but couldn't make up my mind. I think I look at something so long I can't decide which option to choose. Thanks!

Tartan 11-16-2021 11:29 AM

Why not? I think I might put a small border between the main body and blocks so the pattern of the centre stays clear.

sewingpup 11-16-2021 11:46 AM

I had some left over flying geese blocks from a quilt I did. But I did not have enough to make the border out them entirely....so I grouped them and put groups of 1, 3, and 5 evenly around the whole quilt with just a small print fabric in between....and I did put a narrow border between this outer border and rest of the quilt. It turned out nice! umm...to make it rectangular, I would maybe put a small border at the top and a small border at the bottom....add your left over blocks at the top and bottom and then put another small border all around the whole quilt and bind using the same fabric as that outer small border? I think that might work!

LAF2019 11-16-2021 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I would turn them 90 degrees from how you have them pictured. That would put the cut bias edge of the triangles along the outside edge of the top. fill in the missing negative space with a solid or something. that would give it a prairie point kind of look to it which may complement the hunter stars. a small inner border, too, would be good to separate the two.

Here is a pic of one i did similarly to the layout I described.

true4uca 11-20-2021 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by LAF2019 (Post 8520118)
I think I would turn them 90 degrees from how you have them pictured. That would put the cut bias edge of the triangles along the outside edge of the top. fill in the missing negative space with a solid or something. that would give it a prairie point kind of look to it which may complement the hunter stars. a small inner border, too, would be good to separate the two.

Here is a pic of one i did similarly to the layout I described.

Wow, thats beautiful. Thank you for the picture, I'm so visual. Also to add length I use 2.5 inch inner side borders and 3.5 inch inner top and bottom borders. Every little bit helps.

juliasb 11-20-2021 08:29 AM

I would think just the way you have them displayed one in each corner with a white border to connect them together.