Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border for Hunters Star >

Border for Hunters Star

Border for Hunters Star

Old 11-16-2021, 09:12 AM

Default Border for Hunters Star

I have these triangles left from making a Hunters Start quilt. I made 4 blocks 20"x20" but I want it rectangular. How can I use these pieces along the top and bottom to lengthen the quilt? Any suggestions please? Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails hunters-star-border-pieces.jpg  
Old 11-16-2021, 09:48 AM

I'd use them just as you have them pictured with plain triangle in between. In other words, make half square triangle squares out of them with half the square being one of these blocks and the other half being a solid.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:53 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I'd use them just as you have them pictured with plain triangle in between. In other words, make half square triangle squares out of them with half the square being one of these blocks and the other half being a solid.
Yes, I thought so too but couldn't make up my mind. I think I look at something so long I can't decide which option to choose. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2021, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Why not? I think I might put a small border between the main body and blocks so the pattern of the centre stays clear.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:46 AM

I had some left over flying geese blocks from a quilt I did. But I did not have enough to make the border out them entirely....so I grouped them and put groups of 1, 3, and 5 evenly around the whole quilt with just a small print fabric in between....and I did put a narrow border between this outer border and rest of the quilt. It turned out nice! umm...to make it rectangular, I would maybe put a small border at the top and a small border at the bottom....add your left over blocks at the top and bottom and then put another small border all around the whole quilt and bind using the same fabric as that outer small border? I think that might work!
Old 11-16-2021, 06:24 PM

I think I would turn them 90 degrees from how you have them pictured. That would put the cut bias edge of the triangles along the outside edge of the top. fill in the missing negative space with a solid or something. that would give it a prairie point kind of look to it which may complement the hunter stars. a small inner border, too, would be good to separate the two.

Here is a pic of one i did similarly to the layout I described.
Attached Thumbnails small.jpg  

Last edited by LAF2019; 11-16-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post
I think I would turn them 90 degrees from how you have them pictured. That would put the cut bias edge of the triangles along the outside edge of the top. fill in the missing negative space with a solid or something. that would give it a prairie point kind of look to it which may complement the hunter stars. a small inner border, too, would be good to separate the two.

Here is a pic of one i did similarly to the layout I described.
Wow, thats beautiful. Thank you for the picture, I'm so visual. Also to add length I use 2.5 inch inner side borders and 3.5 inch inner top and bottom borders. Every little bit helps.

Last edited by true4uca; 11-20-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:29 AM

I would think just the way you have them displayed one in each corner with a white border to connect them together.