Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Border opinions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/border-opinions-please-t242721.html)

mike'sgirl 03-07-2014 07:45 AM

Border opinions please

I have made a top for my daughter's marriage and I want to make it bigger by adding borders. Would it look weird to make the borders on the sides wider than top and bottom by half?
I want to make the sides 6.5 and the top/bottom 3.5.
What do you think? Thanks!

Rodney 03-07-2014 07:50 AM

Hard to say without seeing the top but I would be inclined to have no border at the top and 6.5 on the three other sides. That way it will have a definite top and have balanced borders. I don't think the narrow borders top and bottom will look right.
My 2 cents,
Rodney

Billi 03-07-2014 07:52 AM

In order to get the exact size I wanted I have done that. I have found that using a solid or a very muted color/pattern works best. You can aso border just the sides with something very simple at 3.5 then with a different fabric do a second all around border at 3.5. Without seeing what your working with its hard to say which would work best.

faykilgore 03-07-2014 08:26 AM

The beauty of quilting is the creativity. There are no rules (well, maybe the 1/4" seam). If you like the result, that's all that counts. Good suggestions already that will give you some ideas. Post pictures if you can.

nativetexan 03-07-2014 08:32 AM

perhaps you could add borders only on the sides and bottom and have a better look.

PaperPrincess 03-07-2014 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6613958)
Hard to say without seeing the top but I would be inclined to have no border at the top and 6.5 on the three other sides. That way it will have a definite top and have balanced borders. I don't think the narrow borders top and bottom will look right.
My 2 cents,
Rodney

I'm assuming this is going on a bed. I would second this idea. It's pretty common to have a border on just 3 sides of a bed quilt. The top is either covered by the pillows or hitting the headboard and not seen. My avatar is a quilt for a full bed with borders on 3 sides.

mike'sgirl 03-07-2014 03:16 PM

Thanks for that suggestion of just putting them on bottom and sides. I think that's great and what I'm gonna do! Ill post a picture when I get them on. Thank you all for your input. Gina

Jackie Spencer 03-07-2014 03:28 PM

My 2 cents,
Rodney

I agree with Rodney!!

terri bb 03-07-2014 03:29 PM

please do! i really like the comment about creativity! it's your vision, and we are looking forward to seeing it when its done!

ManiacQuilter2 03-07-2014 04:50 PM

My 2 cents,
Rodney

I will add my 2 cents to Rodney's reply. I totally agree with him. Eliminate the border on the top. They did that quite often in the older days. :)