Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Borders? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/borders-t314465.html)

Prhrn 02-25-2021 03:16 AM

Borders?

This quilt has completely changed from its original plan, but is still intended to be a "throw". Currently measures 46x57, which seems a tad small. Would another border look good or is it too busy already? I am a newbie and would appreciate any help. I did go to my local quilt shop and bought this border fabric as well as a white for backing, but they are clearly very busy and not able to offer guidance.

Thank you.

[img]20210225_051507.jpg[/img]

eparys 02-25-2021 03:48 AM

Welcome to the board - Your picture does not show up Here is a great set of directions on how to attach images.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf

Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

Prhrn 02-25-2021 04:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you very much. Maybe this worked?

Jordan 02-25-2021 04:36 AM

Pretty quilt. What about adding a border fabric by pulling colors from your quilt. It could possibly be a floral or a muted fabric such as a grudge that would have a hint of colors that are in your quilt

eparys 02-25-2021 04:46 AM

I like it!! Very pretty and not busy at all. Another option is to pull out the dark gray. I might be tempted to add a narrow dark gray border to frame it and then a wider border of that medium gray you have.

Prhrn 02-25-2021 05:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a better picture - when you said grey, I realized the green looked grey lol.
The green seems a bit overpowering to me, so I didn't want to use it as a border, was hoping a border might actually tone it down. The bright yellow actually has little white dots in it and will be 2 inches finished.

LAF2019 02-25-2021 05:31 AM

great quilt! I don't think i would add any boarders.... but that doesn't help your size! sorry

Prhrn 02-25-2021 05:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 8463751)
Pretty quilt. What about adding a border fabric by pulling colors from your quilt. It could possibly be a floral or a muted fabric such as a grudge that would have a hint of colors that are in your quilt

This grunge is in a blue that I have just a little of in the quilt, but I'm not sure it goes with that green. What do you think?

Prhrn 02-25-2021 05:47 AM

[QUOTE=LAF2019;8463773]great quilt! I don't think i would add any boarders.... but that doesn't help .

I appreciate the compliment anyway! I feel like I have used my seam ripper more than my new sewing machine so my confidence is pretty slim. It definitely isn't my colors, but it is for my 82yo mom and she loves "cheerful yellow".

bkay 02-25-2021 05:54 AM

You're right, that is a little small. If you can live with it, I'd skip the second border. If you can't, I'd "audition" that lightest green as a second border. It appears as if the first border is almost a blend of the center square and that peachy color that is used in several places next to the center square. If you have any more of the peachy fabric, I'd try it. I realize it's a floral, but it reads as a solid. If it's too close in color to the first border, I'd try that as a second border. Another idea would be a piano key border with your light scraps. It might be too much, though. (I've made piano key borders that didn't work and just put them on the backing.) I'd match the binding to the second border, unless it ends up being the piano key border. If I did that, I'd match the first border.

I've seen where quilters use a photo editing program to audition borders. You just use your photo and add borders in the appropriate color. The other option is to hang it on the wall and use a small piece on one side and see if it works. Take photos of the different things you try so you can see more clearly than you see in person.

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the back of the one I used my piano key border on. (I need to take more photos!)

bkay