Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Boring consignment request (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/boring-consignment-request-t201112.html)

cathyvv 09-22-2012 01:52 PM

I'd think about an exciting backing!

QuiltingHaven 09-22-2012 02:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I would take those 9 fabrics. Cut them into equal squares (5", 6", 7" etc), sew them together and after cutting done the middle of the large block and across the middle make a disappearing 9-Patch quilt which can then become many, many designs. The second picture is the way that it starts and the first picture shows the cutting up and then just start playing with the design. And you could always say innocently "I started with 9 blocks".

kathyd 09-22-2012 03:25 PM

I just finished a baby quilt for my sister-in-law. She had embroidered some very cute blocks (trucks, planes, rockets, etc.). I set it with black w/white pindots and red corner stones and a small border of the red. Very cute IMHO. The back...AWFUL! The parents recieving the quilt love Star Wars!!! I'd show a pic but it was picked up before I got one. Hopefully I won't have to do that again! Sister-in-law did ask me to show her how to set blocks together for another one she is finishing up.

KathyPhillips 09-22-2012 03:53 PM

I love this reply! Sounds great to me. Haven't worked in ten years and have enjoyed it! Making quilts for others.

Originally Posted by Shana (Post 5530669)
I remind myself that if I don't I will be back in a boring 8-6 job that I HATE. Also I will get to pay the bills on time this month and wear my PJs all day and never wear any shoes but my croc flops, but I have to finish the quilt first lol

alisonquilts 09-22-2012 04:12 PM

I would play games with the quilting, and be thinking about that as a way to get through the less-than-exciting piecing. As you work on each patch think about what quilting you will put in that area, and what secret kid-friendly images to include (bunnies? frogs? crocodiles? fire-breathing dragons? flowers? crosshatching? shamrocks? echo-quilting?)

Alison

ctipton 09-22-2012 10:21 PM

Oh Dear just do the best job and think baby hugs and kisses

chuckbere15 09-22-2012 11:17 PM

I'll trade you, a friend asked me to make him a quilt, king size, with the tree of paradise pattern. What was I thinking! 650 half square triangles. The good news I got to go buy Edyta Sitar Over the Rainbow Batiks. I even bought extra so I'll have scraps.

Sierra 09-23-2012 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5532803)
[QUOTE Having said that I am trying to make a "quiet" quilt for a couple who are important to me but very conservative in their tastes. Never again! It isn't really conservative enough and I'm sure they are not going to really like it!

How can you say someone is important to you, but make something you are SURE THEY ARE NOT GOING TO REALLY LIKE? If they are important to you, then why are their likes and taste unimportant to you? Why are you more important to you than they are? That sounds very selfish![/QUOTE]

Easy, I went shopping, bought the material (related set from the same manufacturer), pinned pieces up on the quilt wall and it seemed OK. Then I started sewing, putting the pieces together. One day I walked into my sewing room and looked at the wall and realized that while I had tried hard to tone everything down I hadn't really. I've never bought fabric deliberately all of one "kind" before and had the impression people did that to be "safe" and sure the colors would all go together. It isn't warm or gentle or conservative; it's splotchy. It isn't me, and it isn't them. I tried too hard.

MartiMorga 09-23-2012 05:56 AM

I will lay odds that your co-worker has requested something simple because she feels like she is imposing on you. Or does everyone know you make quilts for sale? If so, how much do you charge? Maybe she just can't afford your beautiful work, but still wants to give a special quilt to this baby. I think you can do something that will keep you interested and not make her feel bad.

Lori S 09-23-2012 06:11 AM

I like to think about the other tasks , that I find even more boring ... like dusting. I tell myself if Iwas not doing this , I would have to be dusting.