Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Boring consignment request

Boring consignment request

So a coworker has asked me to make a baby quilt. Sure, what design and color? 9 patches of whole fabric, no fancy patterns, with the child's name appliqued in the center square.

BOOOORING!!! But that's what she wants, that's what she's gonna get. I should thank my lucky stars that she wants something that's so quick and easy to put together and get paid for, but still......BOOOORING!

How do you make it through boring projects?
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

I reward myself with new fabric when I am done...

Dina

Blog Entries
    I change my attitude. If I keep thinking negatively about the project, the outcome will suffer.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I remind myself that if I don't I will be back in a boring 8-6 job that I HATE. Also I will get to pay the bills on time this month and wear my PJs all day and never wear any shoes but my croc flops, but I have to finish the quilt first lol

Think about all the beautiful fabrics you will be able to buy with the money you make!!

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
    I use my imagination and make a concerted, constructive and creative effort to make it NOT boring.

You know, 9 patches don't have to made of equal sized blocks and just two fabrics.
    The shapes - individual pieces or the whole blocks - can have irregular or curved edges.
    The color distribution doesn't have to necessarily be 5 and 4.
    Different fabrics - even solids/blenders - can enhance what is a relatively simple block.

A little effort can make it decidedly FABULOUS.

Maybe it's an everyday quilt.

Simple quilts are sometimes what is needed at the time.

I agree with Martina, I would change the attitude into something happy and have fun. It will show in your finished quilt.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Just get it done knowing she'll be happy with it and you'll be paid for it. Win/win situation, IMHO.

Every time I say yes to a consignment I tell myself "never again!" They hamper creativity and invariably I'm working with colors that I don't love or themes that bore me or patterns that don't keep me interested. To answer the original question, I get through it as quickly as I can.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Some times things are what they are, a job that you get paid for. It will be over soon and not take a lifetime and you will make someone happy too!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I remind myself that not everyone likes my taste in quilts either. Be glad it's not a king size quilt and "just do it".
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I, too, often don't care for the commission quilts I have to make. I ask for a potion of the cost up front, "So that I can purchase the fabrics and supplies". This also covers my patootie if the 'buyer' reneges on the finished quilt. Then I am at least not out the cost of the thing they aren't going to get. (If I really don't want it then, I donate it to our guild's community quilts project.)

I photocopy the check and tape it up where I can see it during the piecing and quilting. This keeps me focused on the result for me....more payment at the end! Or, sometimes, I post a page out of a catalog of some fabric, book, tools I'm looking forward to buying.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I once was comossioned a quilt, it was a baby quilt and interesting, however the fact that I had to work on it for ours when i didn't really wanted killed me. I realized that I was going to end up not liking quilting if I continued sewing for money. I decided not to do it anymore. Of course it might not be an option if that is a way of income but in my case I work full time, therefore what I do after work must be something I enjoy.
    :-( I wish I was a full time quilter!
    Andrea (Margate, FL)

Quote Originally Posted by MTS View Post
    I use my imagination and make a concerted, constructive and creative effort to make it NOT boring.

You know, 9 patches don't have to made of equal sized blocks and just two fabrics.
    The shapes - individual pieces or the whole blocks - can have irregular or curved edges.
    The color distribution doesn't have to necessarily be 5 and 4.
    Different fabrics - even solids/blenders - can enhance what is a relatively simple block.

A little effort can make it decidedly FABULOUS.
    That's the attitude between someone who sews quilts and a quilt artist!

Hey just be glad someone is paying you! Every time someone wants me to make a quilt they don't even buy fabric!

So a coworker has asked me to make a baby quilt. Sure, what design and color? 9 patches of whole fabric, no fancy patterns, with the child's name appliqued in the center square.

BOOOORING!!! But that's what she wants, that's what she's gonna get. I should thank my lucky stars that she wants something that's so quick and easy to put together and get paid for, but still......BOOOORING!

Add a "boring" surcharge!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I remind myseld of the money ill get. Hey she could have asked dor a storm st sea.

Blog Entries

Boring like Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe you need to suggest an alternative to her that isn't boring. When you ask people, "What do you want?", you risk them not knowing what the options are. Maybe that's the only thing she could think of to say. If you show her a more exciting and fun quilt that she could have, maybe she'd go for that.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

Rather than think of this as a boring chore, I'd do my best to make sure each corner matches perfectly, etc. Sometimes a challenge can be found in the most simple of things.

Sounds corny, but I try to focus on how happy the person will be to give the gift you have made.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

It's a commission, not a consignment, right?

Sounds awful! But if it were me I would have put "simple" fun pictures in the squares... something a child could enjoy as they got a bit older. Sounds like the person may have thought that "pretty" fabric would cost more. I simply could not do that quilt. Having said that I am trying to make a "quiet" quilt for a couple who are important to me but very conservative in their tastes. Never again! It isn't really conservative enough and I'm sure they are not going to really like it!

Quote Originally Posted by leakus View Post
    I once was comossioned a quilt, it was a baby quilt and interesting, however the fact that I had to work on it for ours when i didn't really wanted killed me. I realized that I was going to end up not liking quilting if I continued sewing for money. I decided not to do it anymore. Of course it might not be an option if that is a way of income but in my case I work full time, therefore what I do after work must be something I enjoy.
    I made the same mistake when I made soap as a hobby. I turned it into a business and pretty soon it went from my favorite hobby to a chore I dreaded. People keep telling me I should sell my quilts...no. Won't do it. I make them as gifts, I give them to charity...maybe some day I'll try raffling them for charity. But it's my creative outlet and trying to commercialize it would ruin it for me.

Maybe it'll be different when I retire, but that's a long way off for me. Fortunately I have a full time job that I enjoy and that pays well enough to cover all my "needs" and most of my "wants" so I can afford to just have quilting as a hobby. I sock away a lot for retirement too, so hopefully I can continue to be a "leisure quilter" even after I retire. I suppose I might try selling some down the road some day, but never a commission. I make what I WANT to make, and if someone feels like paying me for it after the fact, that might be OK.

[QUOTE Having said that I am trying to make a "quiet" quilt for a couple who are important to me but very conservative in their tastes. Never again! It isn't really conservative enough and I'm sure they are not going to really like it![/QUOTE]

How can you say someone is important to you, but make something you are SURE THEY ARE NOT GOING TO REALLY LIKE? If they are important to you, then why are their likes and taste unimportant to you? Why are you more important to you than they are? That sounds very selfish!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast