Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boring consignment request >

Boring consignment request

Boring consignment request

Old 09-22-2012, 05:25 AM

Sounds corny, but I try to focus on how happy the person will be to give the gift you have made.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:00 AM

It's a commission, not a consignment, right?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:08 AM

Sounds awful! But if it were me I would have put "simple" fun pictures in the squares... something a child could enjoy as they got a bit older. Sounds like the person may have thought that "pretty" fabric would cost more. I simply could not do that quilt. Having said that I am trying to make a "quiet" quilt for a couple who are important to me but very conservative in their tastes. Never again! It isn't really conservative enough and I'm sure they are not going to really like it!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by leakus View Post
I once was comossioned a quilt, it was a baby quilt and interesting, however the fact that I had to work on it for ours when i didn't really wanted killed me. I realized that I was going to end up not liking quilting if I continued sewing for money. I decided not to do it anymore. Of course it might not be an option if that is a way of income but in my case I work full time, therefore what I do after work must be something I enjoy.
I made the same mistake when I made soap as a hobby. I turned it into a business and pretty soon it went from my favorite hobby to a chore I dreaded. People keep telling me I should sell my quilts...no. Won't do it. I make them as gifts, I give them to charity...maybe some day I'll try raffling them for charity. But it's my creative outlet and trying to commercialize it would ruin it for me.

Maybe it'll be different when I retire, but that's a long way off for me. Fortunately I have a full time job that I enjoy and that pays well enough to cover all my "needs" and most of my "wants" so I can afford to just have quilting as a hobby. I sock away a lot for retirement too, so hopefully I can continue to be a "leisure quilter" even after I retire. I suppose I might try selling some down the road some day, but never a commission. I make what I WANT to make, and if someone feels like paying me for it after the fact, that might be OK.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:33 AM

[QUOTE Having said that I am trying to make a "quiet" quilt for a couple who are important to me but very conservative in their tastes. Never again! It isn't really conservative enough and I'm sure they are not going to really like it![/QUOTE]

How can you say someone is important to you, but make something you are SURE THEY ARE NOT GOING TO REALLY LIKE? If they are important to you, then why are their likes and taste unimportant to you? Why are you more important to you than they are? That sounds very selfish!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I change my attitude. If I keep thinking negatively about the project, the outcome will suffer.
I agree. Enjoy it since you are being paid!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by JenelTX View Post
Maybe you need to suggest an alternative to her that isn't boring. When you ask people, "What do you want?", you risk them not knowing what the options are. Maybe that's the only thing she could think of to say. If you show her a more exciting and fun quilt that she could have, maybe she'd go for that.
I like this idea. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
Rather than think of this as a boring chore, I'd do my best to make sure each corner matches perfectly, etc. Sometimes a challenge can be found in the most simple of things.
This was my thought as well. My 1/4" seams are not always perfect, nor do my points always match. I think "simple" quilts are harder because there is nothing to "hide" the mistakes in. Expecially for baby quilts, simple ones are the ones that get used until they are shreds. She will not be afraid to use it, wash it, pack it, etc. I hate when my gorgeous "art" quilts are "put away" and never used because they are too pretty to use. Make the quilting special instead of the piecing.
Just MHO
Old 09-22-2012, 10:33 AM
QM
Power Poster

It will be fairly quick to do. If you didn't like or want to please the co-worker, you would not be doing it. I suspect, however, that your co-worker simply does not know better. I might make one block with an animal applique, or a star, show it, and see what she thinks. If the answer is keep with the 9 patch, do it.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:19 PM

I once made a baby quilt using the colors and choices of the mom-to-be. It wasn't my personal taste and even when I finished, I didn't care for it but while I worked on it I kept telling myself who it was for (my best friend's dil) and that I was pretty sure the mom-to-be would like it. Like it? She loved it! as did everyone else at the shower. My bf said she wished I had given it to her to keep at her house for the baby, she liked it that much. Keep reminding yourself that the recipient will like it. I do think making suggestions, if you think she may be uncertain what she wants, might help. It may be that she thinks plain and simple will make it easier on you.