Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boring consignment request >

Boring consignment request

Boring consignment request

Old 09-23-2012, 06:29 AM

I've never bought fabric deliberately all of one "kind" before and had the impression people did that to be "safe" and sure the colors would all go together. It isn't warm or gentle or conservative; it's splotchy. It isn't me, and it isn't them. I tried too hard.
Color choices in quilts are as hard as color choices in paintings. It sounds as if you were trying to do a Monet attitude quilt without knowing the pallete. I'm sorry you didn't understand color choices better as then I'm sure you would have done a beautiful quilt. I'm also sorry I misjudged you.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I change my attitude. If I keep thinking negatively about the project, the outcome will suffer.
True words!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:47 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I change my attitude. If I keep thinking negatively about the project, the outcome will suffer.
Amen to that!!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 AM

Default maybe not so boring!

I would have problems using all pastel's to make a baby quilt. This is just a quirk of mine, I like to make them "simple and BRIGHT"! My favorite "boy baby blankie" so far, was cotton Camo and a bright orange tiny floral. I made simple drunkards path pattern and quilted from corner to corner, ignoring the curved pieces. I did the back in a deep brown flannel. And he's 2 now, it's still his go to blanket at night or nap time! Mom was going to hang it on the wall, she said it was too pretty to use. Happy to say, the Dad told her Baby gets to use his blanket, it was made for HIM to USE!

If your friend has gone to the fabric store and purchased a pack of precut fabric, see if they are open to adding a simple background fabric. Remember, all background doesn't need to be black or white, it can be any shade that coordinates or contrasts with the primary blocks! And it could be skinny strips between the "plain" nine patches! I agree that making sure the construction would please the "quilting teacher" inside you is a great idea! Keep the corners perfect!

Of course, I wanted to attach a shot of the orange and "camo" quilt, can't find it. Here is a "pancake" car-seat quilt I just finished for a friends first grand child. I did use PINK, but not much of that was "baby" tones! Have fun and enjoy adding to your own stash!
Attached Thumbnails 008b.jpg   010b.jpg  
Old 09-23-2012, 08:21 AM

Chocolate!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:27 AM

I agree...I make my quilts for people, no charge and I pay and pick ou the fabric...No stress. I don't even like being asked to make one a certain way...too stressful...I like to be creative and think of a quilt or have it come to me...If I ever sold a quilt It would have to be one I already made.
Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I made the same mistake when I made soap as a hobby. I turned it into a business and pretty soon it went from my favorite hobby to a chore I dreaded. People keep telling me I should sell my quilts...no. Won't do it. I make them as gifts, I give them to charity...maybe some day I'll try raffling them for charity. But it's my creative outlet and trying to commercialize it would ruin it for me.

Maybe it'll be different when I retire, but that's a long way off for me. Fortunately I have a full time job that I enjoy and that pays well enough to cover all my "needs" and most of my "wants" so I can afford to just have quilting as a hobby. I sock away a lot for retirement too, so hopefully I can continue to be a "leisure quilter" even after I retire. I suppose I might try selling some down the road some day, but never a commission. I make what I WANT to make, and if someone feels like paying me for it after the fact, that might be OK.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:32 PM

To you the quilt may be boring but to some one else it is beautiful and pretty. I don't consider any quilt boring because as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Carol in Delaware
Old 09-23-2012, 01:51 PM

I'm guessing if this is for a co worker, quilting is not your main occupation. Anyway, just finish it up and if you don't like to take uninteresting quilt jobs, don't do it.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Try to think of the precious baby, rather than how boring the quilt will be to make. That way you'll find yourself making it as cute and colorful as you possibly can for the little one, within your co-worker's rather narrow specifications.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:25 PM

Just what are the limitations? A 9 patch basic pattern made from solid colors. WHAT COLORS? Everyone is assuming pastels, but exactly which colors are y ou using?