Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boring consignment request >

Boring consignment request

Boring consignment request

Old 09-23-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
I would take those 9 fabrics. Cut them into equal squares (5", 6", 7" etc), sew them together and after cutting done the middle of the large block and across the middle make a disappearing 9-Patch quilt which can then become many, many designs. The second picture is the way that it starts and the first picture shows the cutting up and then just start playing with the design. And you could always say innocently "I started with 9 blocks".
LOVE your attitude (AND your suggestion)! :c)
Old 09-23-2012, 04:24 PM

Just curious how making a quilt to order goes. If I ordered a quilt with the understanding of a certain pattern and the quilt was completed with another pattern, would the quilter expect me to accept it and to pay for it?
Old 09-23-2012, 04:27 PM

To be honest, I would find an excuse not to make the quilt if I could not find a way to think about what joy it will bring to the parents and later, when the baby is old enough to notice it, to the baby. It is my experience that the attitude of the people who create things somehow rubs off on their creations and I would hate for a family to have in their possession something booooring! Do yourself and that family a favor--either change your attitude or pass the commission on to someone who will feel privileged to be even a tiny part of such a wonderful event as the advent of a new baby. froggyintexas
Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
So a coworker has asked me to make a baby quilt. Sure, what design and color? 9 patches of whole fabric, no fancy patterns, with the child's name appliqued in the center square.

BOOOORING!!! But that's what she wants, that's what she's gonna get. I should thank my lucky stars that she wants something that's so quick and easy to put together and get paid for, but still......BOOOORING!

How do you make it through boring projects?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 PM

Making a quilt with just squares should take only a few hours after the squares are cut. Go for it and see how fast you can do it. Have a race with yourself and have fun.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Color choices in quilts are as hard as color choices in paintings. It sounds as if you were trying to do a Monet attitude quilt without knowing the pallete. I'm sorry you didn't understand color choices better as then I'm sure you would have done a beautiful quilt. I'm also sorry I misjudged you.
TanyaL Not to worry. Understandable... I was trying to do something that I would consider dull, but wanted it to be special for people who like toned down things. THAT is an oxymoron, and that makes me the moron.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 AM

well you can still had a twist to it. be creative she probably feel bad to ask you do make something if she is not paying, and if she is paying then less would be less money for her.

Just put your own thing on it. she will love it.

Each quilt is a new challange of your creativity.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
So a coworker has asked me to make a baby quilt. Sure, what design and color? 9 patches of whole fabric, no fancy patterns, with the child's name appliqued in the center square.

BOOOORING!!! But that's what she wants, that's what she's gonna get. I should thank my lucky stars that she wants something that's so quick and easy to put together and get paid for, but still......BOOOORING!

How do you make it through boring projects?

Listen to my favorite music while sewing and dream about my next not-boring project.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Jim

I just say if its a boring pattern or ugly fabric....then I am working "outside the box"...soon it will be done and back to doing what I want
Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 PM

Alondra the quilt fabric choice of mum the patchwork design and quilting you. The owner of quilt will love cuddle play and be sick on it . The baby will love it. It is for the baby with just a little of mum and more of you. Think about the owner of the quilt.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:10 AM

don't know if this has been said yet (I'm writing after page 2), but this plain quilt gives you ample opportunity to do some lovely quilting in each block. And, I've often found what seems boring at first turns into something I'm happy with when it's completed.