Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   bought old house quilts in attic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bought-old-house-quilts-attic-t260035.html)

JustAbitCrazy 01-21-2015 11:04 AM

It's beautiful, but the attic is one of the worst places to store a quilt because of the extremes of hot and cold there. The cotton may be fragile now, so be careful with it.

luvstoquilt 01-21-2015 01:50 PM

How lucky are you! It is possibly a 30's quilt with that bubble gum pink border. Value, I don't know but it is a treasure and if I were you I would want to keep it. The Cathedral Window is the only quilt I know that is never filled with batting .. I would say this is the true "quilt as you go" quilt. LOL

ManiacQuilter2 01-21-2015 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu (Post 7056595)
Welcome - the quilt is called Cathedral Windows - usually hand sewn - but not very old and not at all valuable. I have one and it is quite delicate to wash - have to "mend" it after it is washed - so we don't use it.

I agree with NikkiLu. I don't see any old fabrics and if it has been stored in the attic, the cotton could start to deteriorate.

Daleen 01-21-2015 03:07 PM

I love this pattern. You're so lucky. Even if you don't want to sell it, it would be nice to have the quilt appraised for value!

fangman 01-21-2015 03:29 PM

Your quilt is great and would have taken forever to make.

Grace creates 01-21-2015 04:13 PM

The quilt is very beautiful. I think it would hold the most value to a family member of the maker of the quilt. I would try and trace the owner by looking up who owned the house previously and give it back. If the maker were deceased give it to a family member. What a joy that may bring, and that would be the biggest value. It was probably forgotten in the attic, often moving is stressful. Just my opinion

Bekkieokie 01-22-2015 04:11 AM

You found a treasure, and any quilt is valuable. Someone put valuable time in that quilt, and it is beautiful.

solstice3 01-22-2015 04:43 AM

Beautiful Cathedral Window. They are a very work intensive quilt to make but awesome. I just finished one this past summer

feline fanatic 01-22-2015 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Grace creates (Post 7058004)
The quilt is very beautiful. I think it would hold the most value to a family member of the maker of the quilt. I would try and trace the owner by looking up who owned the house previously and give it back. If the maker were deceased give it to a family member. What a joy that may bring, and that would be the biggest value. It was probably forgotten in the attic, often moving is stressful. Just my opinion

Wholeheartedly agree. This quilt could quite possibly be priceless in sentimental value. Monetary value is only what someone else is willing to pay. Don't believe you have an Antiques Roadshow treasure there but to a relative, it could very well be a treasure and the feel good vibes you will get by returning it to a family member will be well worth it, now and later.
Do the right thing and contact the previous owner or resident of the home. If they don't want them, then by all means put them up on e-bay. You could get as little as $20 for it or as much as $100.

Yooper32 01-22-2015 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bekkieokie (Post 7058472)
You found a treasure, and any quilt is valuable. Someone put valuable time in that quilt, and it is beautiful.

I'm with her. Those would be my exact words to you too. What a find! treasure it, whether recently done, or done 90 yrs. ago.