Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bought a second Machine a Janome 3128 to teach DGD's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bought-second-machine-janome-3128-teach-dgds-t162711.html)

oksewglad 10-23-2011 04:54 PM

My GD are wanting to learn to sew. The oldest is 8 and my Bernina intimidates her-so went looking today.

Hancocks had the Sew Mini on sale for 49.99 which is what I thought I was going to get, but in comparing the two for another $50 I went with the 3128 because of the all metal bobbin/shuttle assembly. I think this machine will last a little longer and I have 5 GD's and my youngest is not yet 2! :-)
Any comments on this purchase?

Comments on teaching also welcome.

QuiltnNan 10-23-2011 06:11 PM

sounds like a wise decision

quiltingcandy 10-23-2011 06:12 PM

It sounds like a good purchase to me. Did they let you try it out before buying it? (I love my Janome, but I have the 6600P.

Once she gains confidence with the Sew-Mini she will want to graduate to your machine.

I suggest you keep your eyes open and look for a Featherweight too. That way if they are all interested, you will definitely have a machine which will last until they are teaching their grandchildren.

peggy119 10-23-2011 06:26 PM

I hope you will keep us posted on how the machine works for them. I have 2 granddaughters (6 & 8) and they have been sewing on my machines since they were 3 & 5. I have started to look for a machine for them and can't decide which way to go.

oksewglad 10-23-2011 06:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks QNan and Qcandy! Two of them just left and we got the machine out, checked out all the "parts", wound a bobbin, and threaded the machine. Good break point when mom came to take them home. The two oldest are so excited, Emily is 8 and Elise is not quite 6. I had purchased Possibilities' "Sewing Machine Fun for Kids" quite a while ago. They clutched it in their hands while I was showing the real thing. First "sewing" is done on paper w/out thread. I think they will be raring to go when they come tomorrow night. Tonight I plan on getting tension adjusted. I told them I might even take this to my sewing workshops. It's so light only 11 pounds, and over twice the weight of the Sew Mini at 5#. Years ago I taught 4-Her's to sew as club/clothing project leader. This will bring back lots of special memories.

Here's a pic of my purchase.

Barb1949 10-23-2011 06:32 PM

what a good idea for your GDs I have several also and a couple of them are interested but soon get discouraged with the piecing...but I can still hope.

oksewglad 10-23-2011 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by peggy119
I hope you will keep us posted on how the machine works for them. I have 2 granddaughters (6 & 8) and they have been sewing on my machines since they were 3 & 5. I have started to look for a machine for them and can't decide which way to go.

What machines have they been using with you? Mine both play with the little playskool machine toy and pretend all the time. About a year ago I sat Emily (now 8) in front of mine and she was just too scared, so I backed off. Not scared tonight. She was turning dials as I instructed her without any hesitation. Elise knows she has to wait to sew because she's younger, but I am including her on the how to's. Then when it's her turn she will be ready. Having the Possibilities book was great as they can look at that at the same time.

quiltingcandy 10-23-2011 07:05 PM

My mom taught me to sew on her Singer 15-90 when I was 8 years old. (We didn't have the money for a child's machine.) My best friend had one and I was so jealous. They will love it & the memories, oh the wonderful memories.

QuiltE 10-24-2011 02:27 PM

This is such good news!! I'm excited for you that you are helping your DGDs learn to sew.

What will be the first projects? Dolly Quilts? :)

I just got the 6600, and it's my third Janome, so yes, I'm sold on them. I just had a quick look comparing your machine to the Janome Gem Platinum. That's what seems to be the favourite for those purchasing a machine to take to classes and leave their high end (and HEAVY) one at home. NOt a lot of difference in the two, so I think you have a good one!

For the price difference and the number of DGDs that will use it, you'll never regret that little extra $$
(..... besides now you have one to take to classes yourself! :) BONUS!!!)

oksewglad 10-24-2011 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
This is such good news!! I'm excited for you that you are helping your DGDs learn to sew.

What will be the first projects? Dolly Quilts? :)

I just got the 6600, and it's my third Janome, so yes, I'm sold on them. I just had a quick look comparing your machine to the Janome Gem Platinum. That's what seems to be the favourite for those purchasing a machine to take to classes and leave their high end (and HEAVY) one at home. NOt a lot of difference in the two, so I think you have a good one!

For the price difference and the number of DGDs that will use it, you'll never regret that little extra $$
(..... besides now you have one to take to classes yourself! :) BONUS!!!)

I told the girls that I may just take it when I go to workshops! They were okay with it. The little Wisconsinite is just as excited. Think the 2 here will have a good time at Thanksgiving showing Nicole the ropes or should I say threads, etc. Looking forward to it, too.