Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bow tucks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bow-tucks-t58184.html)

Woodster 08-07-2010 06:01 PM

Very cute - love the colors! I also like the zipper pouch idea. Do you have a tute for that part?

quilterj 08-07-2010 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sewze
Here are a couple of pictures of my Bow Tucks Bag with some modifications of a shoulder strap and a zippered compartment for small items. I am working on my second BTB.

Yes I too was wondering if you have a tutorial for the zippered pouch part?
My dh picked a fabric from my stash that he liked and I picked one. Then we went to Joanns to get a couple of things I needed to fix for his work supplies. So while we were there and for doing the projects he wanted done, I got enough fabrics to make 2 purses.

quilterj 08-07-2010 06:48 PM

When you make your bags do you prewash first? Also has anyone put snaps on your bags? At my lqs they made one with a snap. I think I would like to try making one with a snap.

Pam B 08-07-2010 07:00 PM

I am getting ready to make another one. The first one I made was the mini bow-tucks and this time I am going to make the regular sized one. I am going to use magnetic closures on them from now on since I do not care to always have to pull the loop over and around the button. I have used the magnetic closures on several other bags I have made. They are very simple to put in. You might try that instead of a snap.

littlehud 08-07-2010 07:42 PM

Just jump right in a do the pattern one step at a time. Ask questions here if you run into a problem. They are really fun.

dellareya 08-07-2010 08:36 PM

When I made the mini tote purse I made a flap to go over the top and used velcro to make the closure. I still put a nice button on the flap. I think it looked good.

stitchhappy 08-09-2010 05:47 AM

My suggestion would be to cut out more than one at a time. After you make one, you'll want to make more. They are like potato chips, can't have just one.

ToucanSam 08-09-2010 06:00 AM

They're really easy to make just pay attention to the directions.

TIP: Make sure you attach the button loop to the back piece of the purse, not the front with the pocket. Ask me how I know.

TIP: Make the button loop less than the 7 1/2 inches they suggest. I find that 7 1/2 is too long.

:)

Kitsie 08-09-2010 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by quilterj
My next project I want to do is the bow tucks. But I looked at the pattern and it just looks intimidating to me. Looks like it
may be complicated. Hopefully I will be able to at least get the fabric picked out or bought this weekend with everything else I need.

We decided to leave out the pocket that goes all around the inside of the purse (I prefer to grope instead.) and that made it a lot easier. If I did it again, I'd put one pocket inside. We did three and after the first one was figured out, the others went very quickly.
Go for it!

Dingle 08-09-2010 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B
I am getting ready to make another one. The first one I made was the mini bow-tucks and this time I am going to make the regular sized one. I am going to use magnetic closures on them from now on since I do not care to always have to pull the loop over and around the button. I have used the magnetic closures on several other bags I have made. They are very simple to put in. You might try that instead of a snap.

This is what I'm going to do to the one I'm making now. My question is, at what point do I put the magnetic snap on? I have never used these snaps so not sure at what step I would do this.

Thanks