Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bow tucks

My next project I want to do is the bow tucks. But I looked at the pattern and it just looks intimidating to me. Looks like it
    may be complicated. Hopefully I will be able to at least get the fabric picked out or bought this weekend with everything else I need.

If you will read through the pattern carefully and then just follow it step by step, you will find that it is really fairly basic. There are several tutorials on here and lots of people have asked/answered questions about different steps. Just use the topic search. And, if you do get stuck while making it, just stop and put a question on here. Someone will probably be able to answer it fairly quickly. It is my new favorite bag to make!

Blog Entries
    Pam B is right on target. You'll take this step by step and have your bag done and ready to be admired. I like the techniques used and have used them frequently for similiar bags.

Have fun :-) We are here if you need us {{{hugs}}}

I just got my pattern today for the bow tuck and I see what you mean, in reading the directions at first it looks kind of complicated but if you do it line by line, it will be ok. My only suggestion is as you cut the pieces, write what they are on a little piece of paper or post-it note and attach that to the piece. So your first 2 pieces will say Top portion for front and back. I find that always helps.

And look in Tutorials for extra help.

I'll post mine if you post yours!

If I can do it,anyone can.Carried pattern from cutting table to ironing board to sewing machine ,back and forth,back and forth.So far I;ve made two,and getting ready to make one for me.Hopefully I;ll have a camera to take pictures.They are really not hard,just take your time.

nik
    This might help - Bow Tuck Tote Pictorial Tutorial - by knlsmith

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-55016-1.htm

yep line by line! I felt the same way about it....intimidated! But I've made 2 now and its not hard anymore.

Blog Entries
    This patterns instructions were a little confusing to me at first, too; but, line by line it all falls in place. Good Luck and you'll love the bag when it's finished.

Blog Entries
    Here are a couple of pictures of my Bow Tucks Bag with some modifications of a shoulder strap and a zippered compartment for small items. I am working on my second BTB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I agree with first post. When I first read through the pattern I thought it was a little confusing. I found this
    tutorial to be so helpful.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-55016-1.htm
    I kept it up on the computer and referred to it often as I sewed. After making they first one, (I made the tote which was too big--went to mini which is perfect) making them became addictive. I have modified them with a flap instead of a button. Just take it slow and step by step. Lots of people here to help.

Very cute - love the colors! I also like the zipper pouch idea. Do you have a tute for that part?

Quote Originally Posted by Sewze
    Here are a couple of pictures of my Bow Tucks Bag with some modifications of a shoulder strap and a zippered compartment for small items. I am working on my second BTB.
    Yes I too was wondering if you have a tutorial for the zippered pouch part?
    My dh picked a fabric from my stash that he liked and I picked one. Then we went to Joanns to get a couple of things I needed to fix for his work supplies. So while we were there and for doing the projects he wanted done, I got enough fabrics to make 2 purses.

When you make your bags do you prewash first? Also has anyone put snaps on your bags? At my lqs they made one with a snap. I think I would like to try making one with a snap.

I am getting ready to make another one. The first one I made was the mini bow-tucks and this time I am going to make the regular sized one. I am going to use magnetic closures on them from now on since I do not care to always have to pull the loop over and around the button. I have used the magnetic closures on several other bags I have made. They are very simple to put in. You might try that instead of a snap.

Just jump right in a do the pattern one step at a time. Ask questions here if you run into a problem. They are really fun.

Blog Entries
    When I made the mini tote purse I made a flap to go over the top and used velcro to make the closure. I still put a nice button on the flap. I think it looked good.

My suggestion would be to cut out more than one at a time. After you make one, you'll want to make more. They are like potato chips, can't have just one.

They're really easy to make just pay attention to the directions.

TIP: Make sure you attach the button loop to the back piece of the purse, not the front with the pocket. Ask me how I know.

TIP: Make the button loop less than the 7 1/2 inches they suggest. I find that 7 1/2 is too long.

:)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterj
    My next project I want to do is the bow tucks. But I looked at the pattern and it just looks intimidating to me. Looks like it
    may be complicated. Hopefully I will be able to at least get the fabric picked out or bought this weekend with everything else I need.
    We decided to leave out the pocket that goes all around the inside of the purse (I prefer to grope instead.) and that made it a lot easier. If I did it again, I'd put one pocket inside. We did three and after the first one was figured out, the others went very quickly.
    Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam B
    I am getting ready to make another one. The first one I made was the mini bow-tucks and this time I am going to make the regular sized one. I am going to use magnetic closures on them from now on since I do not care to always have to pull the loop over and around the button. I have used the magnetic closures on several other bags I have made. They are very simple to put in. You might try that instead of a snap.
    This is what I'm going to do to the one I'm making now. My question is, at what point do I put the magnetic snap on? I have never used these snaps so not sure at what step I would do this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    This is what I'm going to do to the one I'm making now. My question is, at what point do I put the magnetic snap on? I have never used these snaps so not sure at what step I would do this.

Thanks
    Me too. Thanks

The magnetic closure would need to go on before you pull it through...you would want it just on the lining. Sorry, I don't have my pattern here to look at it right now to see exactly where I will do it. Also, I always stick a piece of fusible fleece behind the spot where I am putting the closure...gives it more stability. Maybe I will need to pull the fabric through and then mark the spot and then pull it back through.

Gosh...sorry, I know this is about as clear as mud. I spent the day in my kdg classroom trying to put away all the stuff that came with our new math series...and, they don't see the need to have the air on when kids are not there (and our windows do NOT open). It was 93 outside and I think about that in my room. I am pretty much worn out tonite.

I started cutting the fabric for my mini bow tucks.I started cutting the first piece that was listed which was the front and back. Now I have came to the inside pockets and handle. It says to cut it the width of the fabric. My width is only 38" now. Is that going to be a problem?
    Do you cut everything that is wof first?

Well, I generally cut wof first to keep from coming up short. You will be cutting your 38" piece in half to make your 2 handles. Which means they will be roughly 15-151/2" when attached to your bag. It is up to you, if that is long enough. If not, do you have enough of one of the other fabrics that you used for your bag? You could cut handles from it. Or, instead of a bag that you can put over your shoulder, you would maybe be just as happy with shorter handles.

Well, I generally cut wof first to keep from coming up short. You will be cutting your 38" piece in half to make your 2 handles. Which means they will be roughly 15-151/2" when attached to your bag. It is up to you, if that is long enough. If not, do you have enough of one of the other fabrics that you used for your bag? You could cut handles from it. Or, instead of a bag that you can put over your shoulder, you would maybe be just as happy with shorter handles.
    Would this be ok for the pockets too? They are also to be cut wof.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast