Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bow tucks >

Bow tucks

Bow tucks

Old 08-22-2010, 05:53 PM

There is one more thing I don't know if it is just me or am I not doing this right. I sewed my ties on and back stitched them. After being tied and maybe from digging in and out of the purse, the stitching started coming unsewed.
I sewed straight across the tie about 4-1/2" like the pattern called for. Then I moved it in alittle more and seems to be happening again. Am I tying them too tight, or should I have sewed downward on them also at the ends of it? Have any of you had this problem so far? Sorry about all of the questions.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 PM

quilterj --- about the sleeve: 1) If too wide, take it in lengthwise 2) If not long enough to turn under perhaps you could add wide ribbon or bias tape to the end. Then you could add velcro or two snaps which would be hidden when turned under the board. 3} When I did not have enough fabric length on one board, I added contrasting material to both ends so the result appeared to have been planned...Hehehe

quilterj --- about stitching the tie to the end of the bow tucks bag: I stitch it on by using a rectangle -- across, down x stitches, across on bottom, up x stitches and back tack to secure the ends. With this technique, I've not had any difficulty with the ties becoming undone.

Good luck:-)
Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by kay carlson
quilterj --- about the sleeve: 1) If too wide, take it in lengthwise 2) If not long enough to turn under perhaps you could add wide ribbon or bias tape to the end. Then you could add velcro or two snaps which would be hidden when turned under the board. 3} When I did not have enough fabric length on one board, I added contrasting material to both ends so the result appeared to have been planned...Hehehe

quilterj --- about stitching the tie to the end of the bow tucks bag: I stitch it on by using a rectangle -- across, down x stitches, across on bottom, up x stitches and back tack to secure the ends. With this technique, I've not had any difficulty with the ties becoming undone.

Good luck:-)
Sorry I guess I am not understanding / following the way you did your ties.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by kay carlson
I measured the outside of the bag and cut out heavy duty cardboard for the base. The cardboard was inserted in a pillow case type sleeve I made and the "open" end was folded underneath the base. I wanted something removable and easily washed. Of course, with the pillow case type sleeve, the covered base can be flipped over once in case I get the creeps about how clean it is :-)
I didn't have much to choose from for the bottom of my purse...but then I found the 12 pack Pepsi cardboard! I cut it apart so that I had 4 individual pieces. Measure and cut one piece the size I needed, then cut the other 3 the same size - duck-taped them together...wrapped fabric around it, and done!

It's plenty stiff, lightweight, and feels wonderful. Now that I've done it once, I think I will always use this method. It works wonders! I only wish it were washable, but I can take the fabric off and wash it if needed (it's only glued on the back, so I can easily pull it apart).

Hope this helps :)
Old 08-23-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by quilterj
Well I have my first one all most finished. Yahoo... I just have to get something for the bottom of it. I thought that I was going to be able to use the plastic cutting mats that I bought at the$1.00 store. Even if I were to use 2 pieces I think it is still too flimsy. So I might try the plastic table mat that someone else mentioned. I can't wait to make my next one. I will get it posted tomorrow sometime after work.
The plastic cutting mats you get at the dollar tree. There are
2 pieces in one package. At first I didn't think that it would be ok. Turns out that it works great.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 AM

After reading about the Bow Tucks bag pattern on here I was a bit apprehensive about making it but once I started it was very easy.