Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brace Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brace-yourself-t105948.html)

fktsewing 03-10-2011 08:59 PM

I too am upset about the higher prices of fabric, clothes etc. My thrift stores have gone up in prices too but it is still cheaper than buying in the stores. Ok, now lets take a breath----the economy has not recovered like the government would likeus to believe---if we cannot buy the fabric or clothes, they will sit on the shelves and the store will eventually come to the conclusion that if they want to have customers, they better lower their prices. I am not talking having sales, I am talking lowering prices across the board. It might take some time, but it will happen. This is not like before when jobs were plentiful, this is now, when they are darn scarce. I know we are not spending like before. Only what is needed. I do not go buy tons of fabric just because I like it or I need fabric therapy. I only get what is necessary after I shop my own stash. Same with the clothing. Yes, it hurts us with limited incomes but it is going to hurt the stores far worse before it is over. My Granny taught me to recycle clothing, and a lot of other things. If she could do it, then so can I. Oh, and I totally agree with Lv2Sew2011--if our goverment officials had to live on what we do, it would be a whole different story-----hang in there ladies. We are quilters, we will make it and come out on top

katcincinnati 03-10-2011 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tilladare

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
BellaBoo, ours is bad too. I dont think really poor people can afford to shop at our Goodwill store. Jeans are 8.00 and 9.00 for used!

And that is only if they can beat the people who feel they are doing good and recycling by buying out all the wool and cotton clothes to cut up for crafting!
Sorry, this is a sore point for me. If a person wants to recycle clothing into crafting of any sort, I have no problem with that... IF they are using clothing from their own household. If you can afford new cloth, don't use the wool suit that might have helped a poor person get a job, or keep them from being quite as cold...
(OK off my soapbox... sorry for the rant)

I agree with you EXCEPT aroung here Goodwill, Salvation Army and Thrift stores DON'T give poor people anything whether to find a job or keep them warmer. With prices sky high in these stores most can't afford to buy them.
( OK I'm off my soapbox too. )

kewlquilts 03-11-2011 02:08 PM

Heard from LQS owner one of her fabric reps said we won't be able to find a bolt of cotton for less than $10/yd. by the end of the year. What tragedy has brought on this huge increase in prices? I know gas is expensive, and everything (groceries, clothing, shampoo, etc.) has to be brought in on trucks, but I've never seen or heard about any cotton crop devastation on the news. Good thing I've built a hefty stash!

Miss Fay 03-11-2011 05:16 PM

Clue me in. Not sure what LQS shop is?

CarrieAnne 03-11-2011 06:30 PM

Miss Fay, its a Local Quilt Shop.

biscuitqueen 03-11-2011 09:57 PM

that is depressing news

Miss Fay 03-12-2011 08:36 AM

Thank's.

JenniePenny 03-12-2011 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by kewlquilts
What tragedy has brought on this huge increase in prices? I know gas is expensive, and everything (groceries, clothing, shampoo, etc.) has to be brought in on trucks, but I've never seen or heard about any cotton crop devastation on the news. Good thing I've built a hefty stash!

Back in September, we started hearing news of the demand for cotton vs. the supply. There were natural disasters in the Far East coupled with the economy of planting soy for energy instead of cotton.

The first two pages of this topic give some explanation.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-65131-2.htm

bigsister63 03-12-2011 03:49 PM

Joanns has started to carry a line of better, more expensive quilting fabric. It is $10-$13 /yd. they also still carry the cheaper $3.99-6.99 fabric. With your 40% off coupon it is still a good deal! Better quality fabric is similiar in quality to LQS but is cheaper due to coupons or sale prices.

donnalynett 03-12-2011 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
Joanns has started to carry a line of better, more expensive quilting fabric. It is $10-$13 /yd. they also still carry the cheaper $3.99-6.99 fabric. With your 40% off coupon it is still a good deal! Better quality fabric is similiar in quality to LQS but is cheaper due to coupons or sale prices.

I was there today....coupons weren't any good as the fabric was all on sale.