Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bridal & Baby shower gifts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bridal-baby-shower-gifts-t138053.html)

Ruby the Quilter 07-18-2011 11:47 PM

When my son came home for a baby shower before his son was born- many of my friends asked about gift cards since he was flying -but we are also willing to mail or fedex the gifts if we needed to. We knew gift cards would be best - but would have never dreamed of asking for them as the only option. ( I only had one frequent flyer ticket so brought him home and let the mommy to be have a few days to rest - bless her heart she understood)

cmilton 07-19-2011 10:54 AM

If someone doesn't get what they want it is not a gift. value doesn't matter.

Rubyrednails2 07-19-2011 06:44 PM

Tacky, tacky. What is wrong with people these days? No manners. Next thing you know they will want you to include a self-adressed envelope so they can thank you.

mjsylvstr 07-20-2011 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rubyrednails2
Tacky, tacky. What is wrong with people these days? No manners. Next thing you know they will want you to include a self-adressed envelope so they can thank you.

don't laugh but a couple years ago, I did go to a bridal shower and we were asked to fill in our names and addresses on the front of an envelope for just that purpose........

now the best part is that I never received a thank you..

but was later (much later) told by the bride-to-be that she was enjoying using the gift....

yet the wedding had not yet happened...GO FIGURE!

Winkee 07-20-2011 08:51 PM

I would send a no RSVP. Why not just stick a box outside the door to drop the gift cards in.

eiltcoq 07-21-2011 01:16 AM

Laceybritt, Times are changing. I was invited to a gift card shower for my nephew's new baby. They, also, wanted gift cards for Subway, etc. and suggested everyone bring something for their freezer. I live out of state, so that wasn't something that I could do.
In cases with an older couple who have set up their households, I don't mind giving gift cards. I don't like to buy something that the couple won't use. I've given money to couples who want extra money for their honeymoon. I gave money to a friend who had a 60-30 party and they bought a drink with it. They have everything a couple could use. Eiltcoq.

Jeanne Fauss 07-21-2011 12:26 PM

It is very rude. But that is so common now. The whole idea a a shower is to help the new couple out however, and I guess this is the easiest way. Usually they would have to return half of the stuff anyway. Can you remember doing that? I got so many duplicates of Corning Ware I was so disappointed, as I would have rather had towels, sheets. But you couldn't request things then like they do now. So it is just a sign of the times. Sad to say. When you're young you don't think much of others..anyway I think I've acquired it through the years. (I hope)

golfer 07-21-2011 02:49 PM

The only situation that would arise requesting gift cards is if the bride-to-be lives out of town. It would be difficult to transport gifts if she is flying.

wraez 07-23-2011 12:09 PM

If you don't want to do gift cards, don't. A gift is a gift, give what you want or don't bother to go. I think the invitation could have stated 'gift cards suggested but not required'. or something similar and not tacky. Some people like the ease of purchasing a gift card, others want to chose something more personal and delight in the search for the right gift.

I also find the trend of having party guests make out their own thank you card envelopes with name address to be extremely tacky and on the edge of rude. We spend our hard earned money to purchase a gift, spend time and energy and then asked to make out the thank-you envelope? The recipient should take the time, energy to express sincere thanks and make out the envelopes and send the thank you card. IMHO

My time 07-24-2011 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat
Couple of thoughts here.This is what I was going to say. My son and his fiancee are coming to Phoenix for a destination wedding. They live in Yellowknife NWT, in northern Canada. They can't expect to have to fly bags of wedding gifts north. So this is where gift cards could come in handy.

Sometimes gift cards are the best way to go ...
- if a soon to be married couple already have their own places and don't need much 'stuff'. Coordinating the cards for certain stores - like Home Depot, Lowe's, or such - makes total sense. Remember these are guidelines, and sometimes have a purpose.
- if the person the shower is for lives far away and gifts would be hard to take home. Then there might be the option of giving a picture of the gift and then mailing the gift to them.
- if there are a lot of hand me downs already for a baby or the parents to be don't have much room for more 'stuff.'

Of course you could always call whoever is hosting the shower and talk about preferences/reasons/ etc and then decide if you can make it or not.

Funny topic in a way. This summer one gal I met said that there had been so many divorces that now she only makes picnic quilts for newly weds and waits til the 5th year anniversary before making a bed quilt.

My bridal gifts have ranged from addressing the invitations with calligraphy to decorating the reception hall. These were really appreciated gifts, too.

ali