Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brother PQ 1500S (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brother-pq-1500s-t238378.html)

Stepney 01-07-2014 09:47 PM

Brother PQ 1500S

....I'm looking for some honest opinions on the Brother PQ 1500S. I can not afford to get a long arm or even a medium arm. But what I would really like to know is what y'all think of the PQ1500 S. For those of us just starting out, this could be all we need....HELP!
And Thank You

Stepney

RainyBC 01-07-2014 10:35 PM

I have had my Brother PQ1500s for a few months and like it. As you are no doubt aware, it is only a straight stitch machine. I also have a Pfaff Expression 2.0 to use for decorative, button holes etc, but I do use the Brother more than the Pfaff for quilting. It seems to be a very sturdy solid machine and so far I've not experienced any problems with it. The thread cutter and knee control are very handy. And, of course, the price is much less than a fancier machine. FMQ is much easier with the Brother than the Pfaff and the walking foot is very easy to install. All in all, so far, I am extremely pleased with my decision to purchase the Brother.

Peckish 01-07-2014 11:30 PM

If you do a search, you will find many previous threads and opinions about this machine. I own 7 machines and the 1500 is my favorite.
You might want to join the Yahoo group, lots of good info there. http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PQ1500/info

Quiltngolfer 01-08-2014 06:10 AM

I have had my Brother 1500 for years. It is a great machine and the one I use most. I also own a Janome, Singer, Bernina, and a Baby Lock. If you do quilting and piecing only, it will make you a great machine. It does only do a straight stitch, but it does a good stitch. The cutter is very convenient. I seldom ever do any sewing that is anything other than the straight stitch. I did buy a new machine last year, the Janome 8900, because I heard so many good comments about people using the serpentine stitch for quilting. I really like using that, but it does cost a whole lot more. You will not be disappointed with the Brother 1500. It sews fast too.

Jingle 01-08-2014 06:49 AM

My Daughter has this machine and she loves it. She uses it all the time, for piecing and quilting. It needs to be oiled. A straight stitch only machine and very hard working.

bigsister63 01-08-2014 07:22 AM

I have had this machine and LOVE it. It is a great workhorse. It does great for piecing and is really nice for FMQ since it has a larger throat. I bought mine from Amazon for $600 with free shipping and no tax. Amazon is an authorized dealler so the warranty is good. I would suggest that you go and test drive this machine ad others to see if you like the way it handles! Also it is easier and cheaper to fix snce there is not computer to mess with. ( Just a note- FMQ is still hard on the arms even with a larger throat on this machine.)

Sneed 01-08-2014 07:42 AM

I have a Brother 1500 which I have found is very dependable. I always seem to go back to it when doing FMQ as it so consistent. The tension is great! I don't have the trouble adjusting for different thread weights. The main thing with this one as with all others is to keep the bobbin area cleaned when doing free motion. I clean it with every bobbin refill. And, be sure to oil it as instructed after each quilt. I also have a table top long arm, but it is very temperamental with thread weights. For some reason the long arm will not allow me to use any of my 2ply threads...it always wants 3ply. Brother doesn't seem to know the difference, or care.

Stepney 01-08-2014 08:39 AM

Thank you, Ladies. That's what I was hoping to hear. I already have a computerized Brother and an embroidery machine so I'm good for the fancier stitches. It's the FMQ I want to learn to do even if it's not on a grand scale. I just keep drooling all over my keyboard at all the beautiful quilts I see here and decided to jump in and learn :D
Once again....Thank you!

judy363905 01-08-2014 05:59 PM

I have a 1500s, I purchased this machine late January 2013, it is a dream to quilt with. Just one time I had issues with threads nesting in back...took thread off machine, bobbin out...a used.my manual instructions to re-thread. And off I went problem solved. Great value for $s spent. :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

Emma S 01-08-2014 06:19 PM

Just want to agree with everyone. I've had this machine for a couple years. No tension problems, consistent stitch, and high powered to sew through intersections without distortions. The only problem I've ever had, and this is very small, is the Gutterman type thread spool hangs up a little when it gets down to the very end. If you are continuous piecing this is no problem but when you use the automatic cutter it can cause the needle to unthread. I solved this by just loosening the thread from the spool before cutting.