Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brother ScanNCut (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brother-scanncut-t273403.html)

lyndaj 12-17-2015 06:12 AM

Brother ScanNCut

Now that I have a new sewing machine that I don't have to fight with, I have been looking for cutting options, since it appears that my cutting skills are poor:shock:

Specifically, I am interested in using this to cut the 6 repeats for a one block wonder quilt.

Has anyone ever used the Brother ScanNCut to cut the repeats for one block wonder?

I know you can do it with AccuQuilt, but I have always been adverse to getting into the AccuQuilt because the dyes can not be sharpened (at least that's what I've heard).

TIA

Lynda

ManiacQuilter2 12-17-2015 07:57 AM

In my opinion, I think this is more towards doing applique then with cutting blocks.

PaperPrincess 12-17-2015 08:43 AM

I agree with ManiacQuilter2. Great for cutting applique. Since it only cuts one layer of fabric at a time, I don't know how you would cut the 6 exact repeats for a OBW with the scan and cut. you would have to line up the fabric exactly for each individual cut.

Geri B 12-17-2015 08:46 AM

....and true the die cannot be sharpened but I don't know of anyone ever having to sharpen a die blade!!!!!!i use mine a
Lot and never have had a dull blade!!!!! And it will cut 6 layers cleanly at one time,

luvstoquilt 12-17-2015 09:11 AM

Geri B nailed it! Love my accu quilt

lyndaj 12-17-2015 09:46 AM

You guys are the best. I was pretty sure that the ScanNCut could not cut six layers. I do not do applique so that has been my hang up on buying an accu quilt. Geri B, glad to hear that the dyes do not dull. Thank you.

PaperPrincess 12-17-2015 11:47 AM

Sorry I didn't see your comment on the Accuquilt die blades needing sharpening. Some specialty paper is made with clay that can dull blades (which is why they caution you not to cut paper with your fabric shears). I had a semi professional paper business. I have some dies that I have used thousands of times, often with clay coat paper, and none of them are dull. The hardened steel is not like a rotary blade! Cutting fabric is not going to dull them.

Weezy Rider 12-18-2015 06:43 AM

You don't have to buy the Accuquilt Applique dies if you don't need them. The geometric dies are great, but Accuquilt needs to say better which dies can get the same effect as the new Qubes. If you have most of the older geometrics that work, having to repurchase for the couple of special cut dies in a Qube is the pits.

I have the Silhouette and if I want an applique, I can even take a picture of a drawing and get it into studio.
My problem with most applique dies is the size. I find they are either too big or too small for what I want or I happen to have drawn them myself.

romanojg 12-23-2015 08:31 PM

This is so not true. They even have lots of built in blocks and you can even have it draw the seam allowance on if wanted. Yes, its good for applique but also quilts crafts, etc. Check out you tube. It may not cut multiple layers at once but it faster to cut one layer than one turn on the Accuquilt. I love the AccuQuilt but love love love my scan n cut

gale 12-23-2015 08:33 PM

Do you have to put stabilizer on the back?