Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brother Sewing Machine Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brother-sewing-machine-help-t268534.html)

auntnana 08-08-2015 10:07 PM

Does it skip with all fabric? My Brother was skipping sporadically but only when I was quilting sandwiched items. Never when just piecing. I had to find the right combination of needle and tension to get it to stop. Are you using a brand new needle to test with? Tried switching brands of needles?

liking quilting 08-09-2015 05:44 AM

When it gets sorted out and fixed, please tell us what it was and how it got solved.

Dingle 08-09-2015 06:46 AM

All my machines are Brothers. When mine start to skip it is telling me to clean the bobbin area. The least amount of fuzz will make mine skip. Once it is cleaned all is good again. Make sure you take the plate off and clean real good.

ManiacQuilter2 08-09-2015 10:21 AM

Rhonda, when did you last have it serviced???

tytbody 08-09-2015 03:39 PM

have you purchased or used a not correct size bobbin?

ukdame 08-09-2015 06:16 PM

Brother machines are very touchy if they even have a tiny piece of thread or lint stuck in or near the bobbin mechanism. Usually in the "race". Newer machines use no oil. Service visit maybe needed if that fails.

Stitchnripper 08-09-2015 11:38 PM

Ukdame - I have several mechanical Brother machines and they are the least fussy of my collection. Are you referencing electronic or computer? What kind gives you trouble?

Rhonda - I would try a different size/brand needle and a new bobbin.

Gee Hope 08-10-2015 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by liking quilting (Post 7281319)
When it gets sorted out and fixed, please tell us what it was and how it got solved.

I have not had this problem with my 2 brothers but I also would like to know the 'fix' just in case.

stitch678 08-10-2015 03:59 AM

Obviously, you've tried all you can from home. A pro can reach places you cannot without damaging delicate electrical circuits. There's something in the way of one of the electronic contact points in the board. Take it in to repair shop, ask them for estimate before proceeding ( or to call if it's going to cost more than "x"$).Also, be sure to take in a sample or 2 of the problem sewing...because sure as shootin' the darn thing'll behave itself in the repair shop ( at first), lol.

Lady Diana 08-10-2015 04:20 AM

Skipped stitches means the needle thread is not in the right spot for "pick up" by the bobbin thread. Causes: Timing off, needle is not matched to thread or fabric, dull needle, lint in hook race, wrong bobbin for machine, lint or build up in tension disk, or bur/ nick on bobbin case, thread hanging somewhere in thread path. If you check these things....except for timing, you may find your problem. I found my problem was my needle was wrong for the batik fabric I was using. Clean your tension disk with non wax floss, only pull to the left not back and forth,change to a new needle matched to your thread. Try a 90/14 topstitch. Check your bobbin area for debris. Check for bur in bobbin area. Check your thread spool for any "hang ups" coming off the spool. Let us know if you find a fix.