Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Building a stash ??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/building-stash-t80776.html)

steelecg 12-05-2010 02:06 PM

For a while I bought like they weren't going to produce fabric any more. Then I got to the point of not knowing what I had. I think some people do better than others with with stash method. I tend to do better buying what I need for a project. I just gave a lot away because I was stressed having stuff I didn't know what I was going to do with - Sales are good but it really gets expensive.

b.zang 12-05-2010 02:09 PM

Stash is only useful if you're going to use it ---- unless you want a pile of fabric for the sake of having a stash.
For me, the fun of fabric is trying to fit what I have to a pattern, and what I have is mostly the result of garage sales and second-hand stores.

CarrieAnne 12-05-2010 02:12 PM

I love scrap quilts, so I tend to but fat quarters,in a big varity when I can!

yolanda 12-05-2010 02:12 PM

I started out buying online when I was recoverying from a kidney transplant - I discovered fabric, designers and great deals. I signed up for a bazillion newsletters from quiltshops. I built up way too much of a stash --- well beyond my means. I had to sell some of it, donate a lot (which made me feel better about my purchase). At the moment I am on a total spending freeze. I have plently of scraps, some stash and lot's of solids. I seriously used to buy scraps. My friend told me that is the equilivent of buying items at the goodwill to sell at a garage sale. I don't quite agree with her but when I am not on a spending freeze (as I am not) I only buy what I need for the quilt I am making and that's it. No more shopping to build stash :-( .... geez I can ramble. Sorry for the long answer I think I am having fabric buying withdrawls ;-)

In answer to your question, the more projects you do the more your stash will build from the leftovers and the more scraps you will have for a lovely scrap quilt ;-)

Originally Posted by miz mary
I cant seem to figure this out !! I am a musician, which means funds are very TIGHT ..... I have a stash of fabric .. nothing over a yard ( only a few pieces ) that sits 1.5 feet high ......
When I find a project I want to do .... I usually squeeze out enough $ to buy fabric for the project ..... How the heck do you build a stash ?!??! I thought maybe if I bought 1/2 yd of one fabric for the stash .... but then they then wouldnt coordinate !!!
Any secrets ?

MadQuilter 12-05-2010 02:13 PM

Stash building is one of the few things in life I seem to not have any problems doing. Hm, when you say you select a project and then you go out and buy fabric for it....don't you pick from your stash first and supplement what is missing? That is what I would do. If you always just buy more fabric without any regard to what you already have, your tower will simply continue to grow. OR rather than picking a pattern - pick a few fabrics and find a patter to use with them? Whatever you chose - have fun.

yolanda 12-05-2010 02:15 PM

I can SO relate to this :-)

Originally Posted by steelecg
For a while I bought like they weren't going to produce fabric any more. Then I got to the point of not knowing what I had. I think some people do better than others with with stash method. I tend to do better buying what I need for a project. I just gave a lot away because I was stressed having stuff I didn't know what I was going to do with - Sales are good but it really gets expensive.

frugalfabrics 12-05-2010 05:59 PM

I worked at Hobby Lobby for a year *moonlighting* so I could build up a stash. I certainly didn't make any money...lol...I had my paycheck spent before I got it. But I managed to build over 5000 yards of fabric.

Let me know what type of fabric interests you..I'd be willing to send you off a "starter stash" pack.

I have mostly novelty prints, in most every theme you can think of.

yolanda 12-05-2010 07:31 PM

5000 yards?? Wow!!! I can't imagine. Have pictures?

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
I worked at Hobby Lobby for a year *moonlighting* so I could build up a stash. I certainly didn't make any money...lol...I had my paycheck spent before I got it. But I managed to build over 5000 yards of fabric.

Let me know what type of fabric interests you..I'd be willing to send you off a "starter stash" pack.

I have mostly novelty prints, in most every theme you can think of.

Cyn 12-05-2010 07:47 PM

Lack of self control.

Veronica 12-05-2010 08:02 PM

I'm new also, what is a blender?