Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Building a stash ??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/building-stash-t80776.html)

quiltgrammyt2 12-05-2010 08:03 PM

If you are on a budget go to yard sales and second hand stores,you will be surprized how much you can find,a few years back at a yard sale a lady was selling her fabric stash by the tote I bought a huge one for $20,and felt like a kid in a candy store when I got home and was able to sort thruogh it.

uniquelynancy 12-06-2010 04:48 AM

Oh how I wish I had your problem. I have so much fabric it's taking over the house!! I AM A FABRICHOLIC AND I DON'T WANT TO BE CURED! I buy fabric everywhere I go.

Surfergirl 12-06-2010 05:03 AM

I began quilting this year and have never been lucky enough to find fabric at yard sales, etc, so have to look for sales at Joann's, and online. Some of us just have to be patient and our "stash" will begin to grow. If I had known a few years ago that I would love quilting, I'm sure I would have a nice collection of fabrics to choose from by now.

5thdaughter 12-06-2010 05:43 AM

I usually find my STASH at yard sales & Good Will. It's not always my choice of fabrics but I do make scrappy quilts with them & look nice after they're quilted.

lillybeck 12-06-2010 05:50 AM

I am on a very tight budget and have not been able to purchase any new material for a while now so I have been using up the things I had and you will be surprised at the things you can come up with. Of course I rarely use a pattern like that just start and see what happens.

Jeanniejo 12-06-2010 06:00 AM

Yard sales and Goodwill are good places to find cheap fabric. I went to one yard sale where the kids were selling their deceased mothers tools, sewing machines, fabric and everything else they could sell. I bought several BOLTS of fabric for $1.00 each.

02ba quilter 12-06-2010 06:11 AM

When funds are tight, I have found thrift stores, yard sales, etc. may have pieces of material. Also, a quilt guild generally has scraps that members bring in, anyway mine does and I have gotten lots of good pieces there. Of course, I am a scrap quilter. I also belong to another quilt group where people drop off material they no longer want or from an estate and I have collected a lot from that. So look around, there are lots of ways to collect fabric inexpensively.

Moon Holiday 12-06-2010 06:13 AM

I used to buy several yards of one fabric at a time just because I loved it but with no specific project in mind. Now I mostly buy for specific projects because my taste does change. Since moving upcountry, the only exception I make is if I see a fabric I love I will buy enough (even precuts) to make a handbag. Because I get specific color requests for handbags, this helps cut down on my trips to LQS (45-min to 1-hour away) and waiting for online deliveries.... which saves me money and time and I can get the handbag in the mail a lot faster.

ladydi64 12-06-2010 06:25 AM

I started mine by just buying what I liked and then anything I liked that was on sale. I have one LQS thats about 45 minutes away that when they have a sale I make sure Iam the first one at the door, because their sales are so fantastic. Since I have retired I have made alot of things from my stash, and let me tell you my stash has traveled from CT, to FL, to TX and its still growing.

kellen46 12-06-2010 06:32 AM

For me buying fabric was always a visceral thing. I saw a fabric that had oooohhhhaaahhhh appeal and I bought it. Later I would decide what to make with it. Now I have a really too much stash (it is a storage thing) so I am doing only stash quilts for a year. I have to say sometimes when I was making a quilt I would want say a blue and with over a hundred pieces of blue I could not seem to find the right blue so had to shop. Sometimes I would see a focus fabric and buy coordinates to go with. Then I would bundle them together for later use...I must admit I still have a lot of those bundles..Just use what you have, buy what you can and the stash will come eventually.