Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Building your stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/building-your-stash-t94824.html)

jojosnana 01-28-2011 08:10 PM

Whatever I buy is always a bit short, so I recommend buying what you can afford and make it work.

cjomomma 01-28-2011 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by DebinNY
Usually depends on the price & the amount of money I have to spend... And how much I love it!!!

Same for me.

littlehud 01-28-2011 08:35 PM

If I love it I'll buy 2-3 yards. If it calls to me across the fabric store I buy as much as I can.

Jim 01-28-2011 11:52 PM

I usually buy at least two yards of almost any fabric I purchase...if I love it or have a specific idea for it I buy more...just bought 4 yards for my OBW

Rose_P 01-29-2011 12:27 AM

I try to buy new stuff only if I absolutely love it or have an immediate plan and know how much I need. Once in awhile there might be an exceptional bargain that I succumb to, but I'm frequently not so enthralled when I get home with it. I love the philosophy about stash on the Quiltville site: http://quiltville.com/stashing.shtml

I think if you live in an area with lots of sources nearby, it makes little sense to horde fabrics. My kids may feel burdened with the relatively modest amount I have when my time comes. When I get too much of anything it becomes a chore to organize and manage.

I have to admit, however, that a lot of the fabrics I still have from earlier hording were so much cheaper than they'd be today, that they were a worthwhile investment - to the extent that they will be used.

quilterella 01-29-2011 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by susanwilley
I got a question. When you quilters are out and about, and happen to see fabric you want to add to your stash, how much do you buy? 1 yard, 2 yards, 3 yards, half a yard?

I used to only buy 1 or 2 yds if it was to build my stash. But after using only my stash for the last 18 months, I will purchase at least 3 yds. It is very frustrating to pull out fabric, realize you needed 2.25 yds and only have 2. Also, I use alot of flannel for backing, which I also purchased in 2 yd increments (DUH!). Everything will be minimum 3 yds for now on unless it is purchased for a specific project.

quilterella 01-29-2011 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by susanwilley
I got a question. When you quilters are out and about, and happen to see fabric you want to add to your stash, how much do you buy? 1 yard, 2 yards, 3 yards, half a yard?

I used to only buy 1 or 2 yds if it was to build my stash. But after using only my stash for the last 18 months, I will purchase at least 3 yds. It is very frustrating to pull out fabric, realize you needed 2.25 yds and only have 2. Also, I use alot of flannel for backing, which I also purchased in 2 yd increments (DUH!). Everything will be minimum 3 yds for now on unless it is purchased for a specific project...... Sorry for the double post!!!!

liminanc 01-29-2011 04:01 AM

I seem to be the exception, I never buy more than a yard, I tend to buy 1/2 yards. I love quilts with lots of color so I just bought 10 1/2 yards of April Cornell's Natures Bounty so I will be playing with 10 fabrics that coordinate and anything that matches (blues, yellows, and greens) out of my stash. I usually buy fabric then decide what to do with it. My stash has a lot of colors, but not much yardage. I just did a quilt with simple blocks using my batiks in my stash, used over 100 different materials (I counted) and it used my purples, greens, blues, pinks. I didn't use any of my fall or christmas batiks. I tend to think of colors as seasons. I actually would find 3 yds overwhelming lol. I never buy backing until I have a completed top and then I know how big my backing should be. I tend to use fleece for our bed quilts. Or if it is a summer quilt I use muslin.

CarrieAnne 01-29-2011 04:15 AM

For me it depends on how much money I have at the time, lol!

susanwilley 01-29-2011 05:01 AM

ROFLMBO!!!! I just love this Quilting Board! I am so addicted. I just can't get off this site! Thanks so much every one for your input! I have a very small stash, mostly just left overs, and I am ready to get serious but didn't really know how much I should buy. I think I am going to follow suit and go with 2 to 3 yards unless I REALLY LOVE IT, and then go with 4 or 5 depending on how much money I have. Thanks again, love you all!