Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bummed about batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bummed-about-batting-t159852.html)

carol45 10-12-2011 07:07 AM

So I bought 2 king size Hobbs 80/20 batting and wanted to preshrink it. I soaked it in the washing machine according to the directions, drained it. I believe it was fine when I put it in the dryer. I fluffed it in the dryer and when it came out a lot of it was shredded. I wonder if any of it is useful--how do I know if the non shredded portions are uniform thickness? How do I know that they also haven't been weakened? Bummer.

Deborahlees 10-12-2011 07:15 AM

O.M.G..............I think perhaps you got a defective batch....I would call Hobbs, and tell them what you did and the results you got....and perhaps push for a refund....batting is not cheap and especailly king size....

valleyquiltermo 10-12-2011 07:17 AM

I have never washed any batting by its self.
I been afraid to. Been making quilt for 27 years.
I guess I'd use it to stuff pillows or toys now
that it is shredded. Sorry this had to happen to you, batting is not cheep.

SandraQuilts 10-12-2011 07:17 AM

I'd do it in the bathtub and not put it in the dryer.
I don't preshrink mine because I like the antiqued / puckered look it gives. HOwever, a friend who owns a quilt shop does it and she does hers in the bath tub.

Tartan 10-12-2011 07:18 AM

Bummer indeed! I don't wash my batting until it's in the quilt and quilted. I guess you could use the good parts for smaller projects or the bits for stuffing. P.S. This is the second post. The first one is out wondering in cyberspace somewhere. Don't you hate that?

mltquilt 10-12-2011 07:19 AM

The first time I ever presoaked this type of batting I did not realized that you could not agitate it. That step was left out by the individual giving me the directions. Did not work well. I have used Hobbs 80/20 since then in the washer but just skipped the agitation part and then put in dryer. No shredding problems. If you did not agitate it then it very well might be defective.

May in Jersey 10-12-2011 07:35 AM

Contact Hobbs they should give a replacement batting.

I only soak my Hobbs 80/20 in the washing machine, skip the wash, rinse, 2nd wash and rinse cycles and just spin dry the batting, then I spread it on my dining room table with the ceiling fan on and it dries quickly. I don't think putting the batting in the dryer is a good idea.

frarose 10-12-2011 07:45 AM

I have never tried shrinking any. I also like the puckered look.

sewmary 10-12-2011 07:47 AM

I only air fluff it in my dryer to get wrinkles and bunching smoothed out. Have never had Hobbs shred.

Jan in VA 10-12-2011 07:47 AM

Oh mercy!! :evil:
Hobbs is made in Waco, TX. Having lived in TX for years and years, I have used Hobbs 80/20 cotton batting since Noah's ark was built and have never had this problem.

On an evening, I load batting to the washer, full the tub with cool water, stop the machine, agitate a little by hand -- this is hard to do so you needn't fear over-doing it -- then let it sit a bit, drain the machine, spin on gentle.
I air fluff in the dryer, no heat, then take it to the living room where I toss it over all the furniture to dry overnight. Works every time.:D

I'm sure they will make it right if it was a bad batch.

Jan in VA